Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I have just received the package to connect to the internet

I have just received the package to connect to the internet for catch up TV

I have just realised that the equipment I already have - Humax to video two programmes for later may not work if I install the new box!!!!
I wanted to make my TV into a Smart TV by being able to do Catch up on ITV,BBC etc so will I be able to keep my "video" side as well as have the catch up???????
I am really sorry to be so unsure but I normally can install things ok
I do hope you can help me!
Bernice
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bernice, my name is Rusty. Do you still need help? What is the model number of your TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I waited so long for a reply and had to go out that I just left it until this morning

I have installed everything now but if I want to use the Humax for recording I have to take the aerial out of the new box and replace it in the Humax

It looks like I need another length of aerial so I think I may have solved the problem.One with male and one with female

At least I can use both but not at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this will be ok now and I found it easier than I thought to install

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
There is something that you can do to get them both working at the same time. They should have supplied a splitter with the system. If not, click here. You plug your cable into that splitter, then one lead goes to the internet box, and the other to your Humax box. You will now be able to watch TV and surf the web at the same time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information

I clicked on to hat it was and I think my local electrical shop will have one for tomorrow

Thank you again and this will hopefully solve my problem

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I'll stick with you until you are able to use both at the same time. That splitter will do the trick, be sure to tell me how it works. Notice that the splitter is 5-2400MHz. That is the only important part to pay attention to when buying a splitter. (They make them for satellite too, but they work on a higher frequency. Be sure to get a cable splitter, not satellite.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again for that info

I will go out first thing

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. I await your reply.

This is not an info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty

Well I think I have cracked it although I am still worried about the video side

I think I will say it is fixed and if I do need more help will call my son in law at the weekend

I put an attachment on for the aerial and this works but I still have a bit of a problem with switching but as I said I will get my son in law to check it out

Thank you for your help anyway

Bernice (78 going on 21!!!!!)

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Well I can definitely tell you still have your spark! What is it that you're having trouble switching? That splitter shouldn't change anything, other than the fact that you can connect your modem as well as your TV at the same time. If you tell me what you're having trouble with, I can walk you through it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just picked up your mail but my husband is now watching the TV so I must leave until the morning

I can get the new Talk Talk You View box working ok but if I want to switch to the normal TV and view my Humax recorder it just says no or weak signal

I have had to replace the aerial as per normal for tonight but will refit in the morning and if you are about I will be glad of your advice

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
It's 11:30 am here, we have a time gap of 6 hours I believe.

These are the things to look for, we may need to add a signal amplifier if it's connected properly.

The cable from the wall should plug into the splitter's input.
One output of the splitter should be plugged into You View box.
The other output of the splitter should be plugged into Humax.

If it's still not working:
Switch the cables going to the boxes. This will tell us if you have a bad cable or not.
Switch the leads on the splitter. This will tell us if you have a bad splitter.

That is the long and the short of troubleshooting. These steps will test all of the equipment to see what's going wrong. If you do all of these steps, and Humax still isn't working, you will need an in-line cable amplifier. Click here. You can usually get these, or another amplifier at the same place that you got the splitter. This goes between the wall and the splitter.

If you are going to buy it from the store, the things to look for are the MHz (5-1000) and it should have an active return. That will speed up your upload speeds online, and web pages will load faster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty

Well I will do what you say and hope it works now. As I said I was able to get either or but not keep both plugged in

I will have another go today but I have a volunteer job for Special Olympics GB for Special Needs people and I work on the database so I am busy! will fit in the other as soon as I can but thanks you for your help

Best wishes

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Did you swap the cables? This will tell me if it's a bad cable or not. If the problem switches, we know it's a bad cable. Sometimes the center conductor gets broken off inside the cable. If the problem doesn't switch, then you'll need the amplifier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty

Well I am sorted!!!!

I kept trying to push buttons etc. and then an Electrician came to fix my heater and said had I changed the RF loop or something. He checked and found it and it now works a treat so thank you for your help.

I am looking forward to catching up with Law & Order UK this evening as I missed it

Goodbye and thanks

Bernice

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Glad to hear it Bernice! Enjoy your new system, and let me know if you need help in the future.

The only way I get paid for my time is if you rate my time with you. I'll be here for you in the future.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert