Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I bought a TVonics set-top box at the time of the digital tv

I bought a TVonics set-top box at the time of the digital tv switchover, as I have an analogue tv set. It came, of course, with a remote control, which has worked fine until now. It now seems completely dead, even though I have replaced the batteries. I bought an All In One remote but this doesn't work with my set-up either (presumably as my set is not digital). Can you suggest a remote I can buy to keep my setup working ?

With many thanks

John Crossland
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX'll be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately these devices (set-top box) are disposable things that is why you won't get replacement remote of it nor the codes available in universal remotes and solution is to buy another set-top box that would come with its own remote control and usually new set-top box is available from 20 to 50 Pounds range.

Please check following links to view set-top box prices to select any of your choice...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodmans-Freeview-Automatic-Retune-Digital/dp/B005F5C3Q4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_recht_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=06N2N2983YCMGXVYG96P

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/33015958/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CTechnology%7C33006169/c_2/2%7C33006169%7CSet+top+boxes%2C+recorders+and+satelite%7C33008689/c_3/3%7Ccat_33008689%7CSet+top+boxes%7C33015958.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Set-top-Boxes-Sound-Vision/b?ie=UTF8&node=560880

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you saying that the fault may not be with the remote but with the TVonics set-top box itself ? Either way, it seems ridiculous that a perfectly good piece of kit (either box or remote) has to be discarded. Do you have a view on why this failure may have occurred ? Anyway, I will take your advice to buy another box/remote, and give you a positiv e rating for your service.

John

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

It seems your remote has worn out due to usage and carbon coating on circuit board to make contact when push a button has worn out that is why it has stopped working with set top box. Now replacement remote ins't available because manufacturer of these devices do no provide spare parts so ultimate solution is to get another device that would come with new remote. I agree that a working box should not be discarded but without remote control it becomes non functional.

Hope this clarification will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.