Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

How can I re-record from a Virgin Tivo box on to a dvd

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The Scart connection is an output socket, so this should work.

What is the make and model of the DVD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

DVD recorder/player is a Panasonic DMR-EZ49VEB

TV set is a Panasonic (LCD) TX-L37S10B

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Peter

When you connect the scart cable fro the Tivo to the DVD, did you set the input of the DVD to the Scart channel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't recall doing so - it was some time ago. Handbook is vague - merely says "select appropriate AV input to suit the connections to this unit". Menu offers AV1 AV2/S, AV3/S. After failure, went back to HDMI connection between TIVO and set with SCART connection from AV1TV on DVD set to AV2 socket on TV as per handbook. Removed SCART connections between DVD and TIVO for simplicity after failure. It will take me a few minutes to replace it and further time to select right AV input by trial and error. Can I get back to you tomorrow PM ? Or do you have further advice now ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, tomorrow PM is no problem Peter,

You just need to get it on the right AV with the scart connected and it should then record.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Now available. Have replaced SCART lead between DVD player and TIVO as per diagram in TV handbook. Single TIVO socket to AV2 (EXT) described as for "connection to an external unit". What do I do now ? If I switch on the TIVO and go to "My Shows", select the wanted recording, switch on the DVD player, insert disc, call up AV menu and click on AV2 then press Play on (both ?) remote(s); will I then get a recording ? You will see from this that I really don't know what I am doing. Walk me through it, please.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Peter,

You explained it correctly.

Play the Show on the Tivo.

Set the DVD to the correct AV channel and record and it should then record the program on the DVD player.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have now started the process and DVD indicates it is recording. Will wait to end of programme (90 min approx., then try playing back. Will report back - hopefully reporting success. Not sure if I can also watch TV on terrestrial at same time. Should be able to but loth to screw up recording.in process of finding out.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, for now, just leave it and we will see the results.

If you selected the right AV channel, it should now work.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let recording run for 120 minutes whilst taking a long phone call. Stopped it. Extracted disc. Opened and replaced disc. Selected "DVD! on AV. Display flashed up "No Disc" then reverted to AV2. Switched off DVD player for a minute or two then tried again, Same result. Pressed "Play" and display showed count up but no picture, either on AV/DVD or AV2. Washout ! I recently had installed a new Freeview aerial and the technician told me that it was impossible to record to DVD from a Virgin box. Didn't believe him but it is looking that way. Comments ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is just a Scart connection from an out port to an in port, plus it has been done in the past.

But a no disk message is concerning.

Does the DVD record from normal TV?

And do you have a HDMI cable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Technician previously mentioned set up for me to record from normal TV but have not yet tried it. Will do so tomorrow and report back. Yes, I have a spare HDMI cable.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, record from Normal TV, if this works, use the HDMI cable instead of the Scart cable.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try to record normal TV tomorrow. In pain just now (Sciatica) and wanting my bed. Note that the Virgin TIVO only has one HDMI socket and that has the connection to the TV. Don't know if a splitter would serve. Will get back to you tomorrow. Meanwhile, thanks for your efforts.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Peter,

Till tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK; busy day but had time to try copying normal TV to DVD and made numerous attempts without success. Display showed recording taking place but playback was blank. Tried various approaches, including following the handbook as religiously as possible (difficult because assumes you are familiar with the nomenclature but I tried different interpretations). I noted that some of the controls on the DVD remote did not seem to work - for example I could pull up the AV menu but the up/down etc and OK buttons did not work so the problem may lie with the DVD player. I also noted I was using DVD/RAM discs. Perhaps I should buy some DVD/RW discs to try (although I had previous success with such discs when recording from Sky. I also tried (on the remote) both the Rec and Direct TV Record buttons; both switched the display to recording time elapsed but neither got the TV content on to the disc for viewing. Whilst playing, I also tried other AV settings to see if I got content on one of those.

I think I have reached the end of my .abilities here - I will try and bribe my son-in-law and/or my grandson to give it a go, I have certainly reached the end of my patience and am now giving up.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, I would like to try with the HDMI cable if possible?

I have though marked this question to never close, so if you want to take a break and return later, that is no problem at all.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience. As to trying the HDMI link, I explained theat the only socket is in use to connect the Tivo to the TV. If I shift this to connect directly to the DVD player then I can not call up the item I want to re-record onto the TV screen for selection. This suggests some kind of splitter would be needed and I have not checked if such an item is available locally. (Robert Dyas shop has a reasonable selection of TV and Computer accessories).

I rate your service at 4 stars. I would have awarded a fifth (and this, forgive me, is hindsight) if you had tried to find out what my level of technical knowledge was at the outset. I don't even know what these initials (HDMI, AV etc) stand for !

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Peter,

You can get a HDMI Connection box, which is what you need and can get one from here

Click me to view

AV means Audio Visual and HDMI means high definition multimedia interface :)

If you can do the rating by clicking one of the smiley faces below, this will make the rating complete (though of course you can still ask follow up questions).

Thank you Peter and all the best.