Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Panasonic Video/DVD Player/Recorder (DMR EZ48V) is not working.

Customer Question

My Panasonic Video/DVD Player/Recorder (DMR EZ48V) is not working. when first turned on it displays message "UG1". When I try to record the following message appears on the TV screen:
"Self-check did not complete
1) press OK then unit opens the disc tray 7 turns to standby
2) press POWER to restart
If this message still appears refer to the contact info on the operating instructions"

There is no "POWER" button. I have tried unplugging but to no avail. the same message appears if I switch to Video.

What should I do?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The error is U61, If your and generally referrs to a dirty or failed lens in the DVD Drive, a problem with the Digital PCB or the ribbon cable or ribbon cable connections between the Digital PCB and the laser assembly in the DVD Drive.

The first remedy attempt is to gently clean the lens using a Lens Cleaning Disk.

Do you have one there available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I do not have a Lens Cleaning Disk. Where do I get one?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

You get it from here

Click me to open

Once you have run the clean (basically you put the cleaning disk in the DVD and it cleans), then test and see if you still have the problem.

If you do, it is the Lens itself that has faulted. In this case you would need to return the player to have this replaced. This would be covered by the warranty if this has not expired.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cleaning disc did not work - I was still getting the same message when I tried to insert the disc so could not even get as far as "Play"

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Hilary, but as I mentioned, the Lens has failed in the player.

It will need to be returned so that this can be replaced.

The warranty will cover this if it has not expired.