Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Hi, I have a Panasonic DMR PW530 HDD player I bought last

Hi, I have a Panasonic DMR PW530 HDD player I bought last October, I am happy with the item until recently, my problem is that when I copy from HD (BBC etc) the sound has disappeared, this is only started to happen in the last 2 weeks or so, prior to that no problem. If I copy on normal BBC, I have sound but not on HD. I have checked the manual and all the leads but to date I cannot sort it out, can you assist please?

Joe Kilroy
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

On the Panasonic, change the sound from Surround to Stereo and then try to record.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply, I have to go out now but will try your suggestion and get to you on my efforts to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Joe Kilroy

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Joe.

This is generally the issue when getting no sound from a HD channel, but If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

I did what you suggested, and found that I was already on the Stereo facility, so I changed to Surround sound, just to see if it made any difference no joy, I then changed back to Stereo, no joy either. I recorded both but no luck. I find that if I hit the Slow Forward on the remote I can get sound, but understandably it is too fast to listen to. On occasions when the recorder is playing a programme on HD (with no sound) the picture can be a bit jerky. Can you make any other suggestions?

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm sure the problem can be sorted with a bit of persistence.

Joe Kilroy

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Joe

Can you replace the cable that is connecting to the Panasonic for Video input.

Then do a test recording.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks for your prompt reply, I replaced the cable as per your suggestion but no joy there. I then moved the Panasonic player to another room and tried it on another Sony TV, the same problem exists.

No sound on Recorded HD but on Recorded SD it is fine with sound. I also replaced HDMI cables to see if any changed but alas none. The sound issue is only a recent problem (last few weeks), prior to that everything was fine.

I appreciate you assistance in trying to sort out the problem. Have you any more suggestions for me to try.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Joe Kilroy

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will need to reset the Panasonic Joe and rule out firmware as the issue.

With the power off (stand-by mode), Press and hold [skip reverse] [Time Slip] [Eject] buttons on the units front for about 10 sec. Unit will go into Self Check Mode and then Display 'L1 TEST'. Now power off. Clock should be flashing 12:00. Turn power on and intial setup menu will be displayed on TV.

Set it up again, do a recording and let me know if you still have the issue please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks for the info, I will try it now and get back to you shortly.

Joe K

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Joe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

I do not have a [skip reverse] [Time Slip] on the front of the unit, only on the Remote Control, I held down these buttons on the remote and the[Eject] buttons on the units front for over 10 secs but nothing happened.

Joe K

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, you can do it via the remote control.

But if nothing happened, it confirms the issue.

It is the internal hard drive that is faulting. When it tries to capture a lot of data (as with HD) it is not able to write the data correctly to the hard drive and this is why you get no sound. We also know the TV is not the cause of this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks for all you advice and assistance, the service was excellent, I will send the unit back for repair or replacement.

Regards and thanks again.

Joe Kilroy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Following our discussion today, I decided to purchase another player. I bought the Panasonic DMR -HWT130 this afternoon from Currys, you can see it on their website. I connected it correctly and hard to believe it had the same problem with HD and recording of HD stations. I changed the HDMI cable as the one for the previous player was a high transfer HDMI, however no success, i.e. HD live jerky and no sound when I recorded HD. So I moved my Sony SVR-HDT500 from the living room to the sitting room where all the problems were occurring to see if the Sony had any problems with HD, well the good news is the Sony was fine with sound on recorded HD and no jerky picture on live TV.

I am at a loss as what the problem is, it has me totally confused. It would appear the Panasonics are acting up and not working, however the Sony is fine.

I thought as you did that it was a connection problem, but the Sony HDD has ruled that out.

I am beginning to wonder where I go from here.

Any assistance is most welcome.

Joe Kilroy

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You used the same cable for the Sony?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used the older HDMI for the Sony, and it worked, however earlier today I used the older HDMI for the Panasonic and later for the new Panasonic and it did not work, the only player working correctly is the Sony, it's very difficulty to know what the problem is.

I do appreciate your efforts to try and sort out this matter.

Regards.

Joe

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If the Sony works, but not the Panasonic, it has to be the player, and that by bad luck you received another faulty player, as the Sony is working on all the same equipment.

It may be best to purchase a Sony instead of a Panasonic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks for that, perhaps you are right, I will give it all a rest until tomorrow, tech is great when it works but not so when it does not. I am going off line now for the night and see what tomorrow brings.

Much thanks for all your prompt attention, the problem has not been sorted yet ,but not from trying on your part, much appreciated.

Joe Kilroy