Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

DVD Recorder model no:DMR-ES30VEB Unable to power on. Have

DVD Recorder model no:DMR-ES30VEB Unable to power on. Have checked fuses etc. Fault appeared whilst watching dvd. Just went off.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

Are there any signs of life from the unit at all, such as a solid or flashing power/status light?

Nathan :

If not, this would unfortunately tend to indicate an internal hardware defect, specifically a faulty power supply We typically see this type of problem as the result of capacitors failing from heat/age/use. As this is a pretty old model, well past its service life, this type of failure isn't surprising. Happening suddenly like this can also indicate damage from a power surge.

Nathan :

If you do get the power light to come on, but the unit will not "boot up", then it is more likely a bad main board.

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the player at the mains
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the unit, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

Nathan :

At that point, it is time for a new machine. At 9+ years old, this one is not worth repairing - parts are no longer available, and fixing it would cost twice as much as replacing it with a brand new one. Should it come to that, I'd be happy to suggest some replacement options for you. Personally, I'd suggest moving away from dvds, as it is becoming an obsolete technology. You'd want a bluray player for playback, and a DVR (hard disc based recorder) for recording shows. VCRs are getting nearly impossible to find these days though, as that technology is now obsolete as well, but if you need occasional vhs playback, you can sometimes still find players.

Customer:

I tried the reset process but still not working. This recorder/player can record/play DVD RAM dvd's so could you please give models that can replace my unit. It does not need to be a recorder. Only a player.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Sure thing Raymond,
Are you wanting to have a dvd/bluray player only? Or another dvd/vhs combo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just want a dvd player which can play DVD RAM discs

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Ray,
really any player should be capable of this. RAM discs (either + or -) are the standard type issued by the movie studios for titles you'd purchase. If you have discs (ram type, dvd-r or dvd-rw) burned on a home computer or recorder, those will play on most players as well.

I would suggest you update to a bluray player, which will play all the new bluray titles as well as the older regular dvds.

For a pretty reasonable price, I'd suggest one of these:

Panasonic DMP-BDT160EB 3D Smart (click for link)

It also has built in "smart" functionality, meaning it can hook up to your home wifi to stream video from the internet like netflix and other services.