Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EX85EB-S has worked perfectly for

Customer Question

Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EX85EB-S has worked perfectly for years. Suddenly I have switched on and the readout is saying HDD ERR. I have tried unplugging it and leaving it overnight several times but no use. When I switch on the HDD ERR message comes up and the DVD tray opens.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. It will need to be taken apart in order to fix it, and you may need parts. Are you comfortable opening it with my help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello rusty and thanks for your response. Unfortunately I've been called away this week so I'd like to have a go at repairs next week when I'm back if that's ok with you. I will be happy to open up the machine under your guidance - will this be by e-mail or phone ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
We can do it by email at no extra charge. If you want phone assistance, I have to charge you per site policy. I'm happy to help you either way.
Here's what you do to get started:
1. Unplug the machine and wait 1 minute.
2. Remove the outer cover.
3. The hard drive has 2 cables: One for power, one for data. It looks just like a computer hard drive. Inspect the cables to make sure they haven't come loose.
Now is where we have to figure out what isn't happening with the hard drive. Plug it in, and go to watch a movie. Feel the hard drive with your hand. It should make a slight vibration, and it should heat up after being on for a bit.
Tell me if it vibrates, indicating that it spins or not. If you have a multimeter, test the power for 24 vdc at the power plug and tell me if you have voltage.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rusty

I will have a go this weekend when I get back and let you know how I get on.

John

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty and sorry for the delays.

I will be looking at the DVD player tomorrow ( Sunday ) and will get back to you once I've carried out your instructions.

In the meantime I've had a barrage of e-mails asking for a rating but I didn't think I needed to do a rating until the problem was resolved ! So I've given an excellent rating because of your detailed responses so far and hope that the e-mails stop !!

John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the emails, they are automated by the site. I'll still be here to help you troubleshoot. I had a busy weekend, but I'm back at my desk.

Have you had a chance to inspect the hard drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty and thanks for your response again. Sorry for delays but I keep getting sidetracked to what other people regard as "more important" jobs !

I have opened up the unit and this is what happens when I power up:

1. Power up - display = please wait

display = HDDERR

Then the disk tray opens automatically.

2. Disk inserted, tray closed to play

I can hear disk unit trying to engage

display = LD FVU just for a second or so

then display = NG DISK alternating with NO FVU

3.After about 5 seconds the disk tray opens automatically again.

All the while this is happening I cannot detect any signs of heat or vibration from the hard drive unit.

4. I have disconnected the power supply to the drive and I get 24v across Red and black to the right of the plug (there are 4 wires, left to right yellow, black ,black, red).

I hope all this makes sense to you and I really appreciate your help

John

p.s. only just noticed the " EST " time zone !

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely, it makes perfect sense. Your hard drive has died. Since you're still getting +24vdc across the terminals, and it doesn't vibrate, it means that you are getting power, so the fault is inside the drive, which is why you are seeing HDDERR.

We can find a replacement drive, they are very common. Computers and HDD recorders use the same drives. They are generally inexpensive. Do you see a model number on the HDD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty

HDD model No. is WD2500BB - 14RDA0

John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
This is very interesting... I'm finding the PCB is easier to obtain than the entire drive. That means they are known for going bad, and you get to keep your data.

http://www.hdd-parts.com/12103539.html

Replace the PCB if you are up for the task, or here is the entire hard drive:

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1442081065
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty and thanks once again.

Just one last thing.

If I understand you correctly, I can change the PCB and then the existing hard drive will work ok ? Including all its' data ?

I'm afraid I'm an ageing technophobe but I'm up for changing the PCB if this is just a case of removing the old one and plugging in the new one !

I really appreciate all your help.

John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the PCB has all of the electronics. I believe it has gone out, since the PCBs are so readily available. Remove the one from your hard drive to get an idea of what it will take. You don't have to worry about breaking it that way.

The information that is stored in the hard drive is safe on metal discs inside of the case. That doesn't get erased when a PCB goes out.

Keep in mind there is a possibility that the motor has gone out, and you may have to replace the drive. Those chances are slim, but it is a possible chance that the motor has a fault, and that would require a complete replacement drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A final big thankyou Rusty

John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome John. Be sure to let me know when you get it fixed.