Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hi Pete, I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EX85. Yesterday

Hi Pete, I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EX85. Yesterday when I switched on from standby it the "Hellow" showed for much longer than usual and then it showed error code either U01 or U81 the 0 ad 8 are difficult to distinguish between. I have tried switching off at the mains for about 10 minutes and when the mains are switched back on the "please wait " shows for a considerable time then when switched on from standby the same as above occurs. Is this a fault that can be rectified or have I lost everything that is on a very full hard drive.
John
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
When you switched it off, did you unplug it as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I just switched the mains supply off as it is into a switchable socket

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please repeat the same thing but unplug it as well. With it unplugged hold down any button on it for about 10 seconds. Then wait 10 minutes plug it back in and test it again. Let me know if anything changes, hopefully it will at least give you an error once you have done this.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done that and it still comes up with the error code U81, it is definitely U81. incidentally when the mains is restored each time the clock shows the correct time.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, that is a bad sign. How old is it? Have you ever done any electronics repair in the past?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was purchased June 2007 and has 1 professional repair when the digital tuner failed. I have done some electronics in the distant past but am not very confident. Why?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
When the reset does not work this error is usually caused by a blown capacitor and voltage converter usually IC1508 and C1530 need to be replaced. IC1508 is the voltage converter which can cause this as well. This page has a pretty thorough guide on how to replace them: Click Here If you have never done board level repairs you may want to have a technician do it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Panasonic.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much Freddy. I think I will have to get another DVD recorder as I think the repair will be too difficult for me. If I do get a new recorder I may then try to repair this one so I can recover some of the progs, and films on the HDD. Alternatively I may try and find someone locally who would repair it for me. Unfortunately the guy on Ebay will only give his address once you have paid and committed to his service and I do not think I have a box in which to post the unit safely.

Thanks once again. If, having sent this reply I can rate your service I will mark it as excellent even though I did not like the answer.

Best Regards,

John

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
You're welcome John and I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you end up getting a replacement I suggest trying to repair it on your own. The hard drive is independent of the boards so you should not loose anything even if you end up damaging the board. A local technician should still be able to recover whatever is on the drive. You can also rate this response I greatly appreciate it.
.