Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

RE Panasonic DMR ES15 DVD RecorderWhen turned on the display

RE Panasonic DMR ES15 DVD Recorder
When turned on the display shows code U61 and seems stuck in a loop - there are regular 'clinks' before it turns itself off after a few minutes. While code is showing the machine will not function.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the panasonic system.
This is unfortunately a sign of an internal hardware problem. Specifically, it is a communications issue. In some cases it is caused by not being able to read the disc or communicate with the drive mechanism. If you can get the drive open, you can try blowing out the inside with compressed air.
Beyond that, the only thing you can attempt is to get into the service menu and from there clear the error code and reset the microprocessor:
Power the unit off, then press the Channel UP, Open/Eject, and Record keys all at the same time, and hold them for 5 seconds. It should then say SERV on the display - press 99, to clear and reset. It should say CLEAR in the display to confirm.
Failing this process (whether you're are unable to enter the menu, or if you do these steps but it doesn't change anything), it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
While it is technically possible to fix, it would be nowhere near worth the cost for an old system like this - you'd spend more on repairs (and parts are not readily available any longer) than you would to replace it with a brand new one. Should it come to that, I'd be happy to help find a local repair shop though, or recommend replacement options, if you'd like.
Best regards,
Nathan