Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Panasonic SA BT 100 blueray system. I have an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic SA BT 100 blueray system.
I have an intermittent fault/problem in that on the whole I can't play CDs or DVDs. However sometimes they do play. When it put a disc in the tray, close it, it then spends sometime reading it and gives a message no disc. What can I do to fix this.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (example: Fellowes Blu Ray Lens Cleaner - click for link) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement. If it comes to that, I can advise further.

Customer: Thanks Nathan, I will try your recommendations.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are able to play the cd when we switch the machine on but then flicking to watch tv then maybe back to cd results in a message "No Disc" being displayed
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying Matt,

you could certainly try cleaning again,
but if that doesn't work it would tend to indicate a hardware problem, either the lens is scratched or the laser is failing.