Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My Sony DVD recorder, Model RDE HXD890, is locked on DVD (YELLOW

My Sony DVD recorder, Model RDE HXD890, is locked on DVD (YELLOW BUTTON), THE dvd drawer will not open. The display shows the letters EO2.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Unfortunately the symptoms you describe are indicative of an internal hardware failure,

Nathan :

specifically, that e02 error message indicates a faulty hard drive partitiion,

Nathan :

essentially, the hard disc inside has failed, and as some of the operating programming resides on that disc, the system locks up and cannot function without it

Nathan :

There are a few reset steps you can try though,

Nathan :

as this can occasionally just be a temporary firmware glitch,

Nathan :

unplug power at the mains

Nathan :

wait 5 minutes

Nathan :

then press and hold the power button on the recorder (not the remote) for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Nathan :

If we're lucky, that will clear it up.

Nathan :

If it doesn't work, then the next step would be reformatting the hard drive (you'd need a special service remote for this), replacing the drive, or more realistically replacing the entire unit at this point.

Customer:

NO, that did not work.

Nathan :

Thanks for trying, and sorry to hear that,

Nathan :

as I mentioned this would then tend to confirm an internal fault,

Nathan :

it is possible to fix, but for a 6+ year old system it isn't likely to be practical, you'd spend more on parts and labor at a local repair shop than you would to replace it with a brand new system.

Nathan :

Depending how you'd like to proceed though, I can help with finding parts, finding a local tech, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.