LOAJ3256
LOAJ3256, Technician
Experience:  35 years technical audio and video systems integrator
444199

I am very interested in military history and have built up

Customer Question

I am very interested in military history and have built up a large library of DVDs. I built up my collection using a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V VCR/DVD recorder. Unfortunately this went wrong this year and I went to PC World to buy a replacement. They told me that they didn't stock Panasonic anymore and I bought a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder. I now have a problem in that my Toshiba can't play many of the DVDs. If there is one item on the DVD it appears to play it alright, but if there is more than one item on the DVD it can only play the first one. In addition the Toshiba cannot show the directory of each DVD. Could you give me advice on how to rectify this problem as I would hate to lose many of my DVD collection. I am a 73 year old pensioner and am IT illiterate, so I would appreciate an answer in very simple terms. Many thanks, KeithXXX

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
It sounds like you burned files onto the disc as a data disc and not as a bootable DVD, do you know if that is what you did?

If you are not sure Bootable is what most DVD's you buy at the store are and they go to either a menu or start playing a file immediately. A data disc not all players can read and instead show a file structure similar to a folder on a computer filled with files.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Freddy,

I have used DVD+RW disks which are then formatted by the VCR/DVD recorder. I would say, from your description above, that they are Bootable.

Keith

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please insert one into your computer if your computer has a DVD drive. Then open the drive contents, if you are not sure how let me know what version of windows or mac you are using. Then let me know if you see folders called something like Video_TS for example.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

My computer runs on Windows 7.

I have put a video into the computer and it contains one file Video_TS.IFO and Video_TS.BUP

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is indeed a bottable disc and should work on all players that accept +R discs. What model Toshiba is it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a Toshiba RDXV60KB

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I am not sure what is causing this as that models only limitation is that it is locked to region 2. That should not affect playback of burned discs though. So I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What happens now, do I wait for someone else to contact me.