Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hi Pete, I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder, DMR-EZ48VEB.

Hi Pete, I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder, DMR-EZ48VEB. For the last few days it has been faulty, displaying error message U99. I have used a lens cleaner and done the "switching off & on again", including leaving it overnight disconnected from the mains. It starts working normally again but keeps going back to U99. Is there anything I can do? If it wasn't discontinued I would mend it with a new one!
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How old is the machine? Do you ever get any other errors or is it always U99?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

The machine is 5 years old, and I believe was discontinued the same year.

I have had other problems in the past, but don't recall specific error codes. They have been strange events eg once I set several programmes on different channels to record, using the EPG, but all the programmes recorded were on BBC1. On other occasions the machine can't read the same disk it was playing and/or recording on the previous day.

All problems have been overcome by using a lens cleaner disk, and/or disconnecting from the electricity supply for a while.

Over to you!

Barbara

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I actually meant with the current error if you turn it off and on does it ever change from U99?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, that's the only error code shown.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
U99 is a general error. Try this Press & Hold the power button until the machine shuts down
Then with the machine off press and hold "stop" & "channel up" buttons on the recorder front panel for over 5 seconds. Release both buttons, the machine should turn on and eject.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Freddy - currently I am cooking a meal and the machine is actually working as it should (just to be awkward). Can I get back to you when U99 inevitably pops up and I can try your suggestion?

Thanks, Barbara

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need. The error could have been a fluke as well. U99 is a general error. So if the lens was stuck it could have caused it. Turning it off and on repeatedly could have got it moving again. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, things got a bit hectic!

I tried your suggestion, as in your message at lunchtime on 2nd Sept. The dvd tray did eject although it didn't turn the unit on - that happens when I load the dvd again. I tried it on a number of occasions as U99 kept recurring, but yesterday it seemed to be ok again and working normally, and is still working today! So hopefully it will continue to be OK now.

Many thanks for your help, but I am still considering buying a used/refurbished replacement while there are still some available to stand by for when mine finally expires!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and if it comes back it would mean the lens unit needs to be replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.