Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

After switch on, stops on "STARTING" and goes no further.

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

This symptom would unfortunately tend to indicate an internal hardware failure, either corrupted firmware or a faulty hdd.

Nathan :

Have you ever updated the firmware on the system?

Customer:

no

Nathan :

Okay, there is one step we can take here, to reset and if needed attempt to update the firmware

Nathan :

if neither of these helps, then we're looking at a hardware fault

Nathan :

Please unplug power at the mains
wait 15 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Customer:

Did all of that, but unfortunately still displays "STARTING". When you said the power/on button you presumably meant the on/off on the remote control. Cannot see any other.

Customer:

Any other ideas please, still not working.

Nathan :

Thanks for the update, and sorry I missed you earlier (I'm in the US). Since that did not work, it would tend to confirm a hardware defect. We can attempt a firmware update, but honestly it is unlikely to help, as you really have to be able to get into the setup menu to access the update function.

Nathan :

To try the update, download this file: V2.0.A2225.D369 (click for link)

Nathan :

put it in the root directory of a blank/formatted usb memory stick, then insert that into the dvr and power the dvr on. If the drive is recognized, the system will begin the update.

Nathan :

If that doesn't help, then we are facing a faulty hdd or corrupted bios/firmware, which is something that would require repairs to correct. If it gets to that point, it's time for a new recorder, as these systems just aren't worth fixing. You'd spend more on repairs than you would to replace it. If it comes to that, I can recommend replacement devices for you.

Customer:

Thanks for that, I have come to the same decision! - new box. Would be very pleased to know what you can recommend.

Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had to buy another unit - £180 - OK but veery cimplicated to use, remote has more buttons than you can imagine, handbook not very useful, but we press on. Thanks for your help. Pete.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Which model did you buy, Pete?

I'm sorry I missed your earlier request, I'd be happy to recommend something else, if you you'd want to return this one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks mate, I will press on with the new kit. Pete.