Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Authorized Samsung Partner with 8 years CE support experience
63083622

I have a Samsung BD F5100 Blu Ray player and it has stopped

Customer Question

I have a Samsung BD F5100 Blu Ray player and it has stopped recognising Blu Ray discs it still plays DVDs fine. I am not connected to the internet but have heard I may need a firmware upgrade the player is approximately 6 months old and stopped working last night, can you help please.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Wes replied 3 years ago.
Wes :

You can update the firmware without connecting it to the internet. You will need a flash drive however.

Wes :

Instructions on performing the firmware update are here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000071/9589/107541/BD-F5100/ZA

Wes :

I see you've disconnected. When you would like to continue our conversation, type a response in the box below and hit the reply button. I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can.

JACUSTOMER-qkyd1sdz- : My friend downloaded a firmware on to USB and tried to load it last night the firmware updated but the machine still doesn't play blu rays I am not sure if he used the same firm ware you have posted the link to I will get him to try this one and let you know if it works.
Wes :

Okay, let me know what happens. Also, try getting a can of compressed air and spray out the inside of where the disc slides in. Alternatively, get a cleaning CD and run that on the player. I have seen some players start having issues with BluRay discs (and not DVDs) if they get dirty. The BluRay discs are much more finicky and less tolerant to a dirty lens on the player.