Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I've got a Sony BDP-S4200 Blue Ray player and I show DVDs through

I've got a Sony BDP-S4200 Blue Ray player and I show DVDs through an Optoma projector. Three discs suddenly stopped mid flow. That seems to be a problem with the player rather than the discs which were new. Any thoughts?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Are any other discs able to play through?

Nathan :

Are you having issues with both standard and bluray discs?

Customer:

Some discs play but there seems no consistency

Customer:

Yes both blue ray and standard discs

Customer:

Not received an answer.

Customer:

Don't agree any payment

Nathan :

I'm sorry for the delay. I requested some initial information from you, and was awaiting that response. Just like you, I'm a human being and cannot be present in this chat 24/7. You were not online when I replied initially, so I stepped out to assist another customer.

Nathan :

I need to know specifically, if you can play a full disc of both standard and bluray,

Nathan :

I realize not all titles will work

Nathan :

but I'm trying to determine if this is a hardware or firmware issue, and that answer will help to isolate the problem further.

Customer:

Yes, some discs played all the way through but there seem to be more and more not playing.

Nathan :

Have you updated the firmware on the player?

Customer:

No. Not sure what firmware is?

Nathan :

It is the operating programming for the player

Nathan :

In some cases a firmware glitch, or outdated firmware, can cause this type of problem,

Customer:

No, not touched it.

Nathan :

we can update it, and if that doesn't help then it is a hardware problem, likely a failing laser lens assembly,

Nathan :

Do you have the player connected to the internet already?

Customer:

No, I don't use it with the internet. I only bought it a month or so ago, but does it sound like a problem with the player rather than the discs?

Nathan :

If the discs are new, not scratched up, etc, then I would not suspect the discs,

Nathan :

if the player is that new though, the firmware should already be up to date,

Nathan :

and if it is that new, you shouldn't be responsible for a hardware issue either

Nathan :

and it is too new to be contaminated (dust) internally, which is the other typical cause. Meaning that this is most likely a hardware problem.

Nathan :

Your best recourse at this stage will be to return it to the retailer and have them exchange it for another unit.

Customer:

That's helpful. I'll go with that.

Nathan :

You're welcome, and good luck to you.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan