Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The clock on my Toshiba DVR20KB recorder seems to have reset

Customer Question

The clock on my Toshiba DVR20KB recorder seems to have reset to 01/01. Manual says clock setting dialog should appear after tuning, but what are procedures to (re) tune?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Go into the setup/settings menu on, and then into general settings. Here it should have the option to set both the date and time.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Following your advice,the correct time etc appears, but it is not possible to access the Guide, with a view to making a recording. All that comes up is AV (something). I was previously able to bring up the Guide but not to use it because it seemed stuck on 01/01 (presumably month one of year one?).

Any other suggestions?

***** *****

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
We could try reverting to factory settings next.
To do that go to general settings the same way again, but this time select reset all.

The settings listed below will remain unchanged even after
resetting to the factory default.
- Clock setting
- Channel setting
- Parental lock setting
- DivX
=VOD code
- Timer programmes
- DVB setting

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done that. All I get is the message 'AV1 stereo'. By the way, the EPG alternative to the Timer Programming setting cannot be selected. Could this be relevant?

PW

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That should have reset everything to the way it was when you first got it other than the things I mentioned. I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All I can add is: should there be any visible evidence that a full reset has taken place? I confirmed (twice) that I wished a reset to proceed, but nothing visible then occurred.

PW

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Do you get "Are you sure?" message on TV screen when try to reset all option in setup > general settings of menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shahid

Yes, I did get the 'Are you sure' message, and I did click 'yes'. This brings up the previous menu with 'Reset all' at the bottom of the list. Nothing else happens. If I click 'Reset all' again, the 'Are you sure' routine is repeated.

***** *****

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Peter,
This is the visible evidence that you were asking about reset all.
Are you looking for clock settings to adjust the time and date in recorder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shahid

Fundamentally, what I am trying to restore is the timer programming function, i.e. the ability to record future programs by reference to the Guide. When this failed, I was still able to bring up the Guide, but it would not operate, and the date seemed to be stuck on 01/01. I therefore looked at ways to reset the clock. By some means, I discovered that the clock was in fact showing the correct date. Since then I have followed the procedure to 'reset all' to the factory state.

However, the position now is that I cannot access the Guide at all, and various other functions on the remote (e.g. Set Up) do not function.

Grateful any further ideas

Peter

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK have you tried to unplug recorder power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check if Guide appears?

If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From Peter

Have now tried unplugging and replugging. I can now get Set Up, but still not the Guide.

I suppose there could be a fault in the remote (batteries are OK). Are replacement remotes usually available? The recorder is not that old.

Peter

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Peter,
If remote works for other functions but not for desired guide or setup function then it would not likely the remote problem, in fact it is likely the recorder internal problem.
We can check Setup and Guide buttons on remote control, please grab a cellphone camera, watch the remote front while looking at it through cellphone camera and press setup and/or guide button, if you see flashing light on remote control front tip that means remote control is sending out infrared signals and problem is with in the recorder.
Please check following link to view an image which will give better idea about how to check the remote...
http://www.theremotedoctor.com/trouble_files/remote_setup2.jpg