Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an LG DRT389 machine which I was told was Region free

I have an LG DRT389 machine which I was told was Region free but it says it is GB - can I get the code to alter it as I record DVDs to send to my family in HK
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What exactly is saying GB when you are using it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing is showing GB unless I go into the set up screen, which I did when I bought it. Due to the delay in getting your message (the first one never arrived) I have taped a programme onto a DVD+R which I have always used and asked him to let me know if it plays alright - but the package takes a few days to get there.

I had a RHT497H previously which had been set to All regions.

Does this help?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Well the reason I asked is you may be seeing the size. GB should not be a region at all but should in fact be the size of something. It normally stands for Gigabytes and may be referring to the size of the DVD or the size of what you are recording. When region free LG players encode discs as an "ALL" region disc meaning that any player should be able to play them. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your LG.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think we are at cross purposes, when you first set up these machines, one of the options is that they tell you to highlight which

Area code you are in, giving the country code (UK being GB) , there is also one for Language Code if needed.

There is nothing to do to change or check for whether it is Region free.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that makes sense now, that you for clarifying that for me. That would not be for the region you are writing then, that is just the region for updates and language to show the menus in etc. For example these devices use different models in enUS and enGB so even though both are en the second 2 letters lets it know which update applies to its hardware (it also affects smaller things like color vs colour). Your discs should be region free. If the person you sent the disc to can not read it in their player let me know. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your LG.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help, how would I be able to contact you, should there be a problem when it gets to HK, would I have to pay another £20 and 3 days to through for your help?

Hopefully it will be ok, but it has taken me a while to get your help so need to make sure!

Thanks Sheelagh

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome, and you would not need to pay again as long as you come back to this page to reply to me. It should stay open as well. You can get back to it any time by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top of the page. You should also have an email that gets you back here. Do not reply to the email though as it does not go to anyone. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your LG.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok will do

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok please note you can also come back even after rating in case you were worried about that. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your LG.
.