Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Toshiba sd-290 DVD player with USB. The DVD tray appears

I have a Toshiba sd-290 DVD player with USB. The DVD tray appears to be stuck. Can this be repaired, please?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

Nathan :

If it comes to that, it's time for a new unit. This would not be worth fixing for an 11-12 year old system. You'd spend £150+ in labor costs to repair it, which just isn't practical. You could keep the unit for the vcr functions, or replace it entirely, though combo units like this are rare to find anymore, as the vhs technology is now obsolete.

Nathan :

A new standalone dvd player can be found for about £25, or you can upgrade to a bluray system for around 50.

Customer:

Thanks, Nathan.

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** our best efforts the machine is not going to respond. Certainly repair is out of the question.