Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-EZ47VEB) will not play any DVD.

Customer Question

My Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-EZ47VEB) will not play any DVD. It just clicks about 3 times and shows a red no-entry sign. I have tried re-setting to the default position but no luck. I may have altered something when I was trying to copy a VHS tape to a DVD-R disc. Any Suggestions? I am over 80 so simple instructions will be appreciated!
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Will the machine still record, even though it will not play?

JACUSTOMER-dssx3nl2- :

Hello Nathan

JACUSTOMER-dssx3nl2- :

When I insert a blank DVD-R disc, the machine clicks 3 times , say READ, then NO READ, then try to read and finally READ ONLY. So will not not record.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Waiting for advice.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Shirley,
I understand it won't record. I'm asking if you can PLAY an existing disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I can't play any discs at all. DVD films I have bought or anything.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Shirley, thanks for clarifying.
This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).
If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc
(example: http://amzn.to/1w1eNgB )
which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.
If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a cleaning disc so hope it works.

Thank you again for your help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Shirley, let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nathan

I am going to have to get a new recorder/player, could you advise me about which one would be best compatable with my Panasonic TV Model No.

TX-L32G10B?

Regards Shirley

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I'll be happy to recommend some options. Can you tell me more about your intended use though?
Would you be ok with just a dvd player?
Do you need to actually record dvds? If so from live tv, or to dub from vhs as well?
I ask because the vhs technology (as well as dvd recording) is mostly obsolete these days. The devices are getting difficult to find and tend to be fairly expensive. So if you don't need all those functions, this might be a good time to simplify and perhaps transition to a hard disc (HDD) based record/dvr type system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nathan
I need to record from my video camera and TV so more than just a DVD player. I can manage without VHS.

My camcorder is a Panasonic SDR-H80.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for confirming.
I'd recommend:
http://amzn.to/1ANfuZb
Alternately, depending on the type of camera you have, you may be able to connect it to your computer and transfer to dvds (as well as edit movies) that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Nathan. Your advice is excellent.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Shirley. Best of luck to you with the new system. If you should need help setting things up, feel free to request me again.
Nathan