Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

connecting Samsung BD -hS5900 DVD Blue Ray to Onkyo TX-SR674E

connecting Samsung BD -hS5900 DVD Blue Ray to Onkyo TX-SR674E by HDMI cable but getting no picture on TV and DVD selector on receiver responds but quicky turns off.
Previously an old Phillips DVD / Video player was connected with no problem
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

This particular onkyo receiver model had a lot of problems with its hdmi switching circuitry which isn't fully hdcp compatible, and is the likely cause of the problem here.

Nathan :

Meaning that it is unable to properly pass the bluray signal to the tv or be identified as a secure display through the onkyo.

Nathan :

There is a step we can try here to reset the system, and failing that there are some workaround connections to be used:

Nathan :

first disconnect power and hdmi to everything (tv, receiver, dvd, etc)
leave all off for at least an hour
power all back on, with only power connected (hdmi still disconnected)
wait a minute, and power off
reconnect hdmi, then power back on in this specific order:
tv first, onkyo next, bluray last

Nathan :

If that does not help, then you'll need to connect the bluray to the tv directly via hdmi, with a separate optical cable from the bluray back to the onkyo (or from tv to onkyo).

Nathan :

If that isn't an option due to distance from bluray to display (such as a projector or in wall wiring) there is one last option by adding a hdmi/edid cloning device. I'll elaborate on that if needed.

Customer:

Nathan

Customer:

did not work and I cannot connect direct to TV as it is via in wall wiring

Customer:

rgds

Nathan :

Sorry to hear that didn't help. Before proceeding further, lets test the BR direct to the tv via hdmi (the lead currently used from onkyo to the tv), just to be sure it works, on the off chance you've gotten a bad player.

Nathan :

If no change, then you'll need to either get the hdmi/edid cloning device I mentioned, or for a lower cost option you could purchase a separate hdmi switch box.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I see you’ve viewed my initial correspondence. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.
Nathan