Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I am looking to purchase a Panasonic DVD recorder with a built

Customer Question

I am looking to purchase a Panasonic DVD recorder with a built in Hard Drive. I want to record from the TV or from my Virgin box or from a Digital camcorder and then burn DVDs from the hard drive. Can you recommend which model would suit my purpose
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

There aren't many of these left on the market or being made any longer, as the optical disc technology is becoming more and more obsolete.

Nathan :

The newest model is the one I would suggest, which is the

Full Size Image
Panasonic DMR-EX86EB DVD Recorder with 320GB HDD and Freeview Plus (click for link)

Nathan :

This model outputs hdmi to the tv,

Nathan :

and has 2 scart inputs to feed signal from your camcorder or virgin box.

Nathan :

Note that there are some limitations here - recording from your external devices to the internal drive or dvd would occur in real time. Meaning the transfer of a 1 hour programme would take 1 hour, it is not a high speed dubbing process.

Nathan :

While this may be okay for programs from the virgin box, you might find that for camcorder recordings you're better off (depending on the camera model, of course) connecting it to a computer where you can transfer the digital file direct to dvd, it would be much faster.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.