Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Will a Panasonic DIGI DMR-EX86EB-K work work with a Sky = HD

Customer Question

Will a Panasonic DIGI DMR-EX86EB-K work work with a Sky = HD Box and can I copy Fims Recorded on my Sky + HD Box onto a DVD using the Panasonic DVD Recorder
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Yes, this can work, but there are some caveats.

Nathan :

While you can output from the sky box to the panasonic, it won't be in HD, it would be analog connection only. Further, anything you transfer from the sky to the panasonic (either to HD or DVD would take place in real time. Meaning if you want to copy a 1 hour programme, it will take 1 hour to transfer. So the transfers are "live", there is no high speed dubbing. You really wouldn't need a model with a hard drive though, you could get by with just a dvd recorder, since the sky box has its own hdd already. Unless you're just looking to archive items from the sky box to free up space on its own drive.

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

I haven't purchased the Item yet but I have films recorded on my Sky + HD Box which I would like to copy from the Sky + HD Box onto a DVD

Nathan :

The panasonic is really meant to be a standalone device, it has its own internal tuner for use with aerial or basic cable.

Nathan :

It will work for that, just keep in mind the speed limitations, which may not be what you're looking for. That will really be the case with any external recorder though.

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

Archive is what I want to do just for Films that I want to keep. Can I record onto both Hard Disks at seperatew times?

Nathan :

Not off of sky you can't.

Nathan :

You could set up an aerial, and record network programs onto the panasonic direct

Nathan :

but the panasonic isn't going to record automatically off of the sky box feed, you'd have to do that manually,

Nathan :

meaning you'd pull up the program you want to watch on the sky box, play it back (or have it going live) then press record on the panasonic to pick up the signal.

Nathan :

This also means any on screen info from the sky box will show - if you brought up the guide, pause, fast forward, etc, that would all be recorded to the panasonic too

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

Can I record direct from the TV to the HDD of the Panasonic Box bypassing recording onto the Sky + Box?

Nathan :

Only if it is a newer panasonic tv that can "talk" to the panasonic recorder.

Nathan :

But yes you could record direct from sky to panasonic as well, without recording to the sky box, but the tv or sky box would have to be outputting that single "live" for the panasonic to pick it up

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

I am not quite sure what you mean by "Live" Can I not set up the Panasonic Box via a timer to record direct on the Panasonic Hard Disk?

Nathan :

Yes, you can set up a timer on the panasonic. My point is what would you be recording? What signal are you feeding it? Unless you're using an antenna or cable feed to the panasonic internal tuner, that timer would only set it to record off the aux input, which would be fed by the sky box for example. Whatever the sky box was tuned to in that case is what the panasonic would record.

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

Can I use a scart Lead to comect the Panasonic Unit to the TV

Nathan :

Yes you can.

Nathan :

The panasonic will only want to record direct from the tv that way though if it is a panasonic tv with the viera link functionality

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

I just want to use the Hard Disk on the Panasonic Recordetr as an auxilary recording Hard Disk

Nathan :

I understand, and you can do that.

Nathan :

I'm just trying to make it clear that if you aren't using the panasonic tuner,

JACUSTOMER-uwrjc52t- :

Thank you for your help

Nathan :

meaning you're recording whatever is displayed on the sky box or the tv,

Nathan :

then you'll have to control what is displayed on that other source, so the panasonic is recording what you intend it to.