Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Happy New Year to you all. I wonder if you can help me.

Happy New Year to you all.
I wonder if you can help me. I have a TVIONICS Digital TV recorder but for the last week have been unable to record with it. The following message comes up "The hard drive is unformatted try to resolve this initially by turning the mains power off and on. Do you wish to format the disk. I've said yes to this but it still does not record and I've tried turning it off and back on by still no joy getting message "The hard drive installation failed recording and playback functions are disabled.
It's been a great product but is this now telling me that I need to replace it?
Thanks and kind regards
Jane
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Jane.

Nathan :

If the system continues to give this error, and is unable to execute the format command, it is almost certain that the internal hard drive has failed.

Nathan :

There is another reset process I'd like you to attempt,

Nathan :

both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tvonics

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

If no change (though do attempt to format again, if prompted) then the drive is bad or the internal firmware is corrupted. In either case though, repairs would be required, which simply aren't going to be practical. You'd spend more to have it fixed than you would to buy a brand new system.

Nathan :

If you are looking to replace it, here is a model that I would recommend:

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

Hi Nathan

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I've tried but no joy, it was such an easy box to set up and use so I'm gutted although I had my money's worth out of it. I've been searching around on line but sadly for the staff the company went into administration in 2012. I've found one on ebay but am reluctant to buy as it say's seller refurbished and there's only a one month guarantee so I'll have to look around. Many thanks for your replacement suggestion but reading some of the reviews it looks complicated

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

and I'm not sure I'll be able to set it up, I'm not fussed about being able to record 2 channels at same time.

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

I'm impressed with the service received and it's nice to know that us oldies can get online and find a site offering this kind of service, I'll be letting others know about it.

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

Best wishes for 2015

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

Jane

JACUSTOMER-a2wybaze- :

Hi Nathan

Best wishes for 2015

Kindest regards

Jane

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the kind rating and bonus, Jane. I'm sorry that didn't help.
Other than the panasonic models, I'd suggest the humax boxes as well, they tend to be relatively easy to use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Nathan, I'll have a look at them - will let you know how I get on once I've bought one and set it up

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nathan

Just wanted to let you know I went for the Humax HDR-1800T. Am able to record 2 channels at same time, didn't think I would use that feature but I do and it's great. Still getting used to some of the instructions & remote buttons but will get there eventually.

Jane