Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Panasonic HDD recorder DMR-EX77 - no lights showing

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic HDD recorder DMR-EX77 - no lights showing in the display, so seems to be dead but if I disconnect from power source the TV displays 'no signal' - so must be live somewhere??
Is the machine worth taking for repair or do I bite the bullet and shell out for a new recorder?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, likely a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model , that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

Nathan :

There may not be actual audio/video signal going through, but the tv is detecting if the circuit is open or closed, and thus reporting no signal when the system is entirely powered off or otherwise disconnected.

Nathan :

There isn't a whole lot we can do here other than a few attempts to reset the system.

Nathan :

Initially, please (with power still connected) press and hold the power button on the front for 10+ seconds

Nathan :

If that doesn't help a deeper level reset process is next:

1) Unplug the power cord from the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

Failing both these steps, we're back to an internal hardware fault. While it is technically possible to repair, it wouldn't be practical to do so. For a 7+ year old system, all parts are long discontinued, and labor costs alone would exceed the value of the recorder. You could buy a brand new unit for less than you'd spend on repairs.

Nathan :

If you use cable or satellite tv services, I'd suggest getting a DVR box from the service provider, they'll typically rent/lease you one for £5-8 a month. The benefit there is that if something goes bad, they are responsible for replacing/repairing it, not you.

Nathan :

You of course wouldn't have the dvd recorder function that way, but that technology is getting to be obsolete and rarely used anymore by most people.

Nathan :

With modern hard drive sizes, a DVR system can record thousands of hours of programming, so there is generally no need to record to dvds or tapes any longer.

Nathan :

If you only use an aerial, and prefer to own your equipment, here is a replacement model I'd suggest:

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.