Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hi. I have a DMR-HWT130. It worked fine until a couple of

Hi. I have a DMR-HWT130. It worked fine until a couple of days ago when I accepted the machine's offer to update the TV channel listings. Now the HDMI link seems to fail and restarts the machine every few minutes. I've tried new HDMI cables and different TVs (all of which I know work OK) but the problem with the PVR is still there. Is this repairable or should I just buy a new one ?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Turn it off and unplug it, then with it unplugged hold down any button for 30 seconds.
Leave it unplugged for 10-30 minutes then test it again.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Freddy. Let me try your suggestions and see what happens. I'll leave this window open and get back to you later this afternoon.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy. I did the things you suggested. There is a slight improvement in that it doesn't reset the HDMI link as often as before. It's now once every 10-15 minutes instead of once every 1-2 minutes - but it still resets. Is there anything else we can try ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it connected to the wall or a power strip?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A power strip which it shares with the TV.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please try the same steps but connect it directly to the outlet this time please.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I will do. I'll get back to you in about half an hour or so.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Takle all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy. I unplugged the PVR from the strip, pressed a button on the remote for 30 secs, left it unplugged for about 20 mins and then plugged it back into the mains. The problem is still there - it reset the HDMI connection almost as soon as it was switched on, then again after a couple of minutes and again about 30 seconds later.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Are you able to get into the settings menu to look for a firmware update over the network?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I did that yesterday but it said the firmware is up to date. I don't think there is any way to do a reinstall.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You can do it manually using this: Click here
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** I'll try that. It will take me a while but I'll try and do it later this evening and report back to you tomorrow. I don't want to leave this page open all night. Can I just re-enter this chat by going back to the URL at the top of the page ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I believe you can or you can go to justanswer.co.uk and click on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I'll try that when I've completed and tested the firmware update. Thanks for your help !

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy. I tried upgrading the firmware last night as you suggested, but the PVR did not action the upgrade when I put the SD card in the slot. Instead it showed the usual SD play screen asking me whether I wanted to play video or show photos. If I've read the instructions correctly I think that means the machine already has the latest level of firmware installed, which is exactly what it tells me when I try a broadcast or internet firmware update. I guess the firmware might be corrupted. Is it possible to force a reinstall instead of letting the machine decide whether or not it wants to ?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately if that happened the firmware is already up to date and is installed correctly. How old is the PVR?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's about a year old - out of warranty, I'm afraid.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn that was my next question, from what you are describing you have a failing board. If it is close to a year old I would still call as sometimes it will get covered under a grace period. The channel update was unfortunately a coincidence, to be sure you could try it on another TV without connecting it to any live TV service and see if the same thing happens. Any local electronics technicians should be able to replace the board for you, but I would still call Panasonic. They sometimes have service remotes for these players that may be able to force a firmware flash as well. Your remote itself would not be able to do that. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Panasonic.
.