Thomas, Technician
Experience:  Ready to assist with your audio devices
62924203

Bought a DVD-S500 DVD ?CD player from Sainsburys. Is it meant

Bought a DVD-S500 DVD ?CD player from Sainsburys. Is it meant to play colour as all I can get is black and white
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help!

Sounds like your cable connections aren't correct. What type of cables are you using to connect to the tv? If you don't know the name of the cable, what color are the connections?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using the cables that came with the package and have connected them as shown in the instruction manual.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

In order to help I need to know what we are working with. I am not with you in person and can only rely on your high level of detail in order to solve the issue.

Are you using an HDMI connection? Or composite cable (red, white, yellow) or component cable (red, green, blue)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Red White Yellow

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Do you have sound? Are you absolutely certain that the yellow part of the cable is in the yellow jack on the TV? If it is placed in a component jack (red, green, blue) you can get a black and white picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no yellow jack on the tv. Red and green are ok. I have sound. There is y by another jack but the colour of the hole is green!

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

You are using the wrong cables. Yellow can only be used in a yellow jack. You are using a composite (analog) cable on a component (digital) connection. The result will be a black and white picture.

If there isn't a yellow port on the TV, you must purchase component video cables. This cable will have red, blue and green male connections on both sides. You will connect from the red, blue and green ports on the back of the dvd player to the red blue and green ports on the TV. This is for video only. For sound you will need to keep the existing red and white audio cables connected.