LOAJ3256
LOAJ3256, Technician
Experience:  35 years technical audio and video systems integrator
444199

Have just installed a Panasonic DMP-BDT460, It will not

Customer Question

Have just installed a Panasonic DMP-BDT460,
It will not play a Region1 DVD.
Please advice.
***** *****
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the 460 model is NOT region free by default, from Panasonic.

Nathan :

The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player (if attempted yourself).

There are companies that sell a modified version of this model, which has been physically altered to be region free. Or you can send yours in to such a company for modification. However out of the box your model is going to accept only region 2 dvds and region b blurays.

Nathan :

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

I can help you get in touch with a region-mod company if you'd like to have that done, or you could return this unit and buy a new one that is region free already.

JACUSTOMER-d0p1w90t- :

The unit is specifically a multi region set

JACUSTOMER-d0p1w90t- :

so your answer doesnot help.

JACUSTOMER-d0p1w90t- :

Nathan :

This unit is capable of it, with hardware modification

Nathan :

but not direct from panasonic. It would be an aftermarket mod.

Nathan :

If you paid less than 200 for it, it was a factory unit, and isn't region free.

Nathan :

Where did you purchase it?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.