Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

,I need some advice with buying some good quality recording

Hi,I need some advice with buying some good quality recording equipment for my guitar tunes and vocals.I have currently got a Tascam 2488neo but I want a better quality recording.Hopefully it won't cost me much more than 500 pounds.I think I might have narrowed it down to a Tascam DP-32 myself.Please help,thankyou,Alexander Kellett.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. What are you using to record? Tell me what gear, and in which order, and I'll tell you how to clean it up. I'm a sound engineer, so you will have great advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am using a Tascam 2488 neo (I need your advice on what to upgrade to).Thanks,Alexander.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me about the equipment that you are using to plug into the Neo? That part is more important than the recorder. Trust me on this one, I've been working on recordings most of my life.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am using a Carlsbro twin channel CMR 20 (twin microphones).
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and are you using this for Karaoke recording, band recording, or something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm recording my solo song recordings( voice and guitar).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need a quality recording I can show people and demos(on CD).
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, good morning! Those mics are what are preventing you from getting a good recording. Digital recorders are dependent on the microphones used and the preamps that are built in. If you have good gain structure, but bad mics, then you're going to get a recording that reflects the mics. Your mics are the problem. Digital recordings work with 0's and 1's. That means that no matter which digital recorder you use, the result will be the same. I'm saying that the recorder isn't the problem.
http://goo.gl/4Vl40i
Use one of these for your voice. These are hands down the most accurate live performance mic available, and they work great in the studio too. You may also want to consider this route:
http://www.musicgoroundfortworth.com/p/269028/used-oktava-mk-219
That is a condenser mic, and is the one I use for vocals. I've had nothing but good results with that mic.
For the guitar, I recommend plugging it directly into the 1/4" input on your recorder, if your guitar has it. If it doesn't, we have to use a mic that is fit for guitar.
http://goo.gl/F8Ryr8
You can't go wrong with that mic on a guitar.
When you use these mics, be sure to set your input gain knob so that you are just below clipping. Recording between -14 and -6 are great for effects and compression.
If you would like help with mixing, let me know, and I will help you with your demo.