Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a portable panasonic blu ray player (DMP-B15) which

I have a portable panasonic blu ray player (DMP-B15) which I have had 5 years.I went to turn it on the other night but there is no picture just sound.However when I hook it up to the tv it is responding fine. I assume the problem lies with the screen.I have never had this problem before.I always watch blu-rays through my tv with the screen off, but is there anyway I can resolve this problem?
Thankyou.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out .
How old is it? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is 5 years old and have no warranty.I had a similar problem to this before 2 years ago where it would switch on then turn itself off again so could not use it. I took it to be repaired but was informed they were unable to get hold of a part so was rendered useless and was not used months.However I was stunned when it magically started working again out of the blue This time is is responding but there is no picture only sound,yet when I hook this up to the Tv it is working perfectly.I do not understand this why this is happening.I use this often but I always watch through the Tv.This has been working fine past 2 years when it started working again. They do not make this model anymore or cannot get parts .If this happens to be faulty then there is nothing I can do.I can still watch this through the Tv ,or will I have to wait another few months and see if this will sort itself out over time.This problem is nothing serious and doesn't,t appear to be an electrical fault, so do you have any ideas to what it could break please.Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing is the screen itself failing and needing to be replaced. The reason I asked warranty was actually because the parts are not available model. The only way to get them is to try and find a broken one with a different problem on eBay and switch out the part needed. The switching on and off of the screen would have been caused by a failing inverter which is part of the screen itself on your model. It is a circuit/ribbon strip that attaches the screen to the board to replace that they would have had to replace the screen. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Panasonic.
.