Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Dvd recorder DMR-EZ48VEB The DVD player/ recorder makes loud

Customer Question

Dvd recorder DMR-EZ48VEB
The DVD player/ recorder makes loud rattling noises on start up & I get no dvd in the system - when I have installed a disc?
The VHS played without any bother!
I believe the read/ write head tracking is not functioning correctly - could that be a mechanical fault? - can it be repaired or replace?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately what you're experiencing is indeed an internal fault, meaning that the laser transport, the drive motor , or the pcb that controls it, has failed.

Nathan :

Your intuition about this being the read/write head is correct.

Nathan :

The problem here is that while it could be fixed, it isn't likely to be economical.

Nathan :

2009 model, the parts are all but discontinued, and labor costs alone would quickly exceed the replacement cost of the entire system.

Nathan :

If you were looking to do open this up and repair yourself, you could replace the entire RAM drive assembly (drive and pcb),

JACUSTOMER-buhtpcpf- : Would taking to a service repairer be worth the while? Or would a replacement DVD drive be more acceptable?
Nathan :

which would make more sense as the individual parts aren't going to be found any longer, and there is no guaranteed that any individual component would resolve the issue anyway.

Nathan :

I did find a source full drive assembly, if you're interested in doing it yourself

Nathan :

but it is £160, which would go a long way toward a new system.

Nathan :

Personally, I'd put my money toward a replacement. The only downside to that is that combo vcr/dvd systems really aren't even made these days, and are pretty difficult to find.

Nathan :

Unless you actually need to dub between vhs/dvd though,

Nathan :

I'd just keep the unit as is functions and then buy a separate dvd/bluray player , or a dvd/hdd combo unit if you're wanting to use it as a dvr

JACUSTOMER-buhtpcpf- : Oh - am not an expert in electronics - but if I could get a similar drive assembly - would that be able or be a straight forward fix?
Nathan :

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Nathan :

The full drive assembly is available. It would be a fairly straightforward fix,yes. It would take some mechanical skill, but there is no soldering or anything too extensive involved.

Nathan :

If you've ever built/upgraded a computer, you could handle this.

JACUSTOMER-buhtpcpf- : Yes - I suppose & thanks part - still pricy it is & I wonder if eBay be any cheaper ?
JACUSTOMER-buhtpcpf- : I am a pensioner- but got many vhs tapes to pass onto dvd's
Nathan :

I highly doubt you'd find it anywhere else, and if ebay it would be used condition and of questionable quality.

Nathan :

I suppose you could watch full unit of the same model that had died reasons, and pull the drive from it to swap into your unit.

JACUSTOMER-buhtpcpf- : Sure & many thanks help Nathan - bye
Nathan :

RFKNEZ48VEB is the part number though, if you wanted to set up an ebay posting alert or just shop elsewhere .

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Nathan :

Note: This is a timed chat service. The info I provided will continue to be available to you after rating. However if you have no further questions , the rating step will conclude our session, so that you aren't charged more by keeping it open.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry press the wrong service button - it should be an excellent service from Nathan five stars ( these bloody systems can be so confusing???)
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks note to clarify Roy. You can resubmit, if it will let you. If not, no worries I can ask the site moderators to adjust manually.
Best regards,
Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found out that I cannot get parts anywhere now the manufactures have discontinue the product & spare part have run out - so in all it was a waste of time trying to get it fix - might as well dump the recorder?
Thanks help.
Roy
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks update, Roy. I believe the first thing that I mentioned was that the parts would be discontinued at this point due to age. The site I had linked to had one in stock at the time, though it seems to be gone now. You could keep an eye out part number on ebay (you can set up a search alert based on the part number), however I wouldn't hold out hope.
In the absence of the part, there is really no other practical fix, and you'd be better off replacing it entirely. However, it may make sense to keep it VHS functions, then buying a standalone dvd recorder/player, as vhs/dvd systems are all but impossible to find anymore. You can always output from the vhs to an input on a dvd recorder, it just wouldn't be a single button operation.