Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DVR 545HX-S. I have just recorded

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DVR 545HX-S. I have just recorded a programme from my Sky Box + HD hard drive, a facility I use often, but this time I cannot finalize or play back the recorded disc. None of the buttons i.e. Home Menu or Playback will activate. The batteries are new. A local -Fi specialist told me that I can no longer carry out this procedure from Sky, it's a question of pirating?? Can you help? I have many dvd's of holidays etc. which I cannot play back.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Sky are stopping this from occurring due to piracy, but your home movies should still play back.
Can you remove the power from the recorder and wait 10 minutes.
Then put the power back in, and turn it on.
Tell me if your holiday DVD's then play please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done that and the result is thd same.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks John
You put new batteries in the remote correct?
And do other functions work correctly?
Are any DVD's working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is either the remote itself or the mainboard on the recorder that has faulted John.
Likely it will be the remote.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by restarting it. The fact that it continues, confirms this as the problem.
You need to start with replacing the remote to rule this out. If it is covered by the warranty, you can have this done free of charge. If the warranty has expired, you can use a universal remote that is set to the recorder, or purchase a replacement here.
Click me to open
As I mentioned, it is likely the remote, but if it still fails, then it confirms the mainboard in the recorder as the issue and the recorder would then need to be replaced.
If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not want to purchase a new remote at this stage only to find this is not the problem. The recorder will still power up and I did make a recording from my Sky box. If it is the main board, my -fi retailer told me that I would no longer be able to purchase replacement parts machine. Too old.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, its the only way to know which of the two is the issue John.
But mainboard, if the warranty has expired then you would need to replace the entire unit sorry. The parts are not available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks . I can live without recording from my Skybox but I can't live without playback of my existing box sets or any future same. I will try a universal remote as you suggest and I will use the link in your answers, But if it comes to a new set can you recommend.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I would recommend the Panasonic DMR BWT735EB John
It is an all in one solution, doing also Blu Ray.
You can see it here
Click me to view
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry delay, but had a visitor. Thanks . Excellent service.

John

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all John
Can you click on the Excellent Service rating please so it is confirmed?
you should see it on this answer (one of the faces or Stars)
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer