Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I recently bought a dvd recorder/player and hardly any of the

I recently bought a dvd recorder/player and hardly any of the films I have recorded from TV will load. On my previous player they all played.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the make/model of the old as well as the new units?

Customer:

The new unit is a Sony 107/187

Customer:

The old unit was a Toshiba but it will take me some time to quote the actual model

Customer:

The old unit was Toshiba Rd XS34SF

Nathan :

Thank you information.

Nathan :

This is an extremely common problem. We see this issue all the time with Toshibas (and most other brands) where the discs recorded on them will typically only play back on that same player. If you look in the user manual toshiba, it will mention this as well, that playback will be limited on most other devices.

Nathan :

While you may get some discs to play on other machines, they do need to be "finalized" on the toshiba if they were recorded on it, or they won't ever be able to open on anything else.

Nathan :

I realize this isn't the answer you were hoping to hear, but it is sadly the way these machines are built. It is not the fault of the sony, but in the manner in which the data is written to the disc by the toshiba, such that only the toshiba plays it back.