Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

, Can I get amazon prime instant video to work on my

, Can I get amazon prime instant video to work on my Panasonic TX- L42ET50B, does anyone know?

I have tried looking on tv and seeing if I can download it as it isn't already on tv

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately the short answer is that no, you cannot.

Nathan :

This is a limitation of the firmware on the tv. While this is considered a "smart" model, it is one of the earlier smart tvs made by panasonic, and had relatively limited abilities, focused primarily on netflix and youtube. The tv is limited to using the preinstalled apps on it. You cannot add others, including the amazon instant video app.

Nathan :

The only way that would be available is if Panasonic were to release a firmware update with a specially formatted version of the app designed to run on this model. 3 year old tv, chances of this happening are next to none. Typically feature updates will happen only model year tvs, it is almost unheard of to do it sets. Generally the only updates will be to fix an existing feature that has a flaw.

Nathan :

Your best option in this case will be to bypass the tvs internal smart functions and instead use an external device like a fire tv, roku, smart bluray player, etc.

Nathan :

If amazon content is your primary goal though, a fire tv box or stick will be the best option, and will give you many other features/apps that the tv lacks, as well as faster response times and better performance over what is built into the tv.

Nathan :

If you want something smaller, you can wait a bit and the fire tv stick (about half the size and price) will be released in the coming months,

Nathan :

or you could go with a comparable roku device

Nathan :

Lastly, if you don't want to purchase additional equipment, you could always connect your pc to the tv and use the tv as a monitor, bringing up the amazon instant video site that way.

Customer:

I don't have a fire tv box or stick? I thought I might be able to do it with my apple tv box but couldn't find anyway there either.I do have a blue ray player, how do I know if this is a smart one or not?

Nathan :

I am saying you would have to buy the amazon fire tv device, or a comparable streaming unit

Nathan :

appletv does not have amazon instant video available on it.

Nathan :

the player might, it depends on the model.

Nathan :

If you can tell me the model number I'll be able to tell you if that is an option or not

Nathan :

otherwise you'd have to purchase one of the items I mentioned.

Customer:

ok dmp db75 Panasonic, probably too old as well as I bought it at same time as tv?

Nathan :

Correct, it is too old unfortunately. It is a 2011 model, and while it has limited vieracast features, those include only Netflix, Vudu, and CinemaNow, It is not able to utilize the amazon instant video services.

Nathan :

You may have one option, though it is a bit clunky,

Nathan :

since you have an appletv,

Nathan :

if you have an iphone or ipad, you can run the amazon instant video app on it, and "airplay" (screen mirroring) it from the phone/tablet to the appletv, and display it on the tv that way.

Nathan :

However this of course occupies the phone/tablet the entire time you're watching tv, it can be a bit slow and glitchy (prone to interruptions at times), and the resolution can be poor (it will be limited to 720p at best)

Customer:

okey dokey, we can get it working through the ipad and airplay to the tv or as you say via a laptop cable or airplay from MacBook. I may look at the stick thing you mentioned earlier which could be a quick and easy way round it and not too expensive

Nathan :

It is expected as well that the next edition of the appletv (gen4) will likely have the amazon app,

Nathan :

but no one is quite sure when that will be available yet either, so the fire tv or roku would probably be the better long term solution

Customer:

ok thanks

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.