Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Panasonic DMR- 530 Blu ray player/HDD Recorder

I have a Panasonic DMR-PWT 530 Blu ray player/HDD Recorder and I want to copy some of the HDD content onto DVD or potentially blu-ray as I have recorded these in HD.
I have registered a USB HDD drive and copied the titles over on to that, however, I cannot access this from my PC, which to be fair, Panasonic did say that it would not work on any other device.
Can you advise how I may be able to do this?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, this is by design. You can't use an external drive with recordings from this device on another machine. That is for copy protection purposes, and you'll find that to be the same case with most all other players as well, regardless of brand. The system uses a proprietary file format, which is also encrypted.

Nathan :

Your best option here for transferring content would be to use an external recorder system. This could be a video capture card in a PC, or an external bluray/dvd recorder. You'd feed the straight video output of the panasonic to the external system and record on it while playing the pansaonic content. The primary drawback to this though is that it is real time dubbing. So recording an hour program takes an hour, it isn't just a high speed file transfer, and doing this will occupy the system during that time preventing you from watching something else.

Customer:

Hi Nathan

Customer:

Hi Nathan

Thanks for getting back to me. Pity there's not a quicker way to do this, but if this is the only way, then there's not a lot I can do.

Thanks for your help.

Malcolm