Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a DMR-EX98VEB DVD recorder. The other day, suddenly

Customer Question

I have a DMR-EX98VEB DVD recorder. The other day, suddenly without any gradual deterioration, the machine stopped playing sound from recordings on its own HD. It plays sound on all other media; it won't play sound from any HD recording, including recordings that have played ok previously; there is no sound whatsoever, not even distorted; video on recordings is perfect.
Please can you help. Thanks.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Usually this is the firmware, so I want to reset this first please.
On the recorder itself, hold the Channel UP and Channel DOWN buttons while the recorder is on, for 6 seconds, then release.
Then test and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

thanks.

I was mistaken earlier - sound does NOT work with the DVD function, though it does with the TV tuner.

I tried Ch UP and DOWN together but it made no difference (tried 3 times).

Damian McD

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so no sound from DVD, but also no sound from HD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is correct.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so only on DVD's. Have you tried a range of DVD's including professional ones )(movies bought)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, Richard. No sound from DVDs, AND no sound from HD!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
When you held the Channel UP and Channel Down buttons for 6 seconds, did you see the unit reset?
It will say this on the TV
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Box was playing a new DVD (in silence) and nothing happened at all when I held the Ch UP and DOWN buttons.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it needs to reset.
Remove the DVD and just have it in standby mode then do the process.
You should see on the TV it is resetting.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If Ch U/D are depressed while machine is in standby mode nothing happens at all.

If Ch U/D are depressed while the tuner is live (playing a free to air broadcast) playing stops, the tuner re-registers all channels, and when that is complete the option to select power saving mode is presented. That's it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Damian
It is the internal mainboard on the player that has faulted. This is the only cause left for this issue
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the player to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.