Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Philips Duo DVD recorder model no.DVDR3432V It will

Customer Question

I have a Philips Duo DVD recorder model no.DVDR3432V
It will not play DVDs But leaves a Message " un recognizeable Disc.
It is an old recorder.
Can this fault be repaired?
***** *****
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ian.

Nathan :

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Nathan :

At that point, as you've already observed in trying to take it to a repair shop, it would need to be replaced. These units simply are not worth repairing, as you'd spend many times the value of the system on parts and labor costs. You're better off replcing it with a brand new unit with updated features and a fresh warranty, for less.

Nathan :

I can recommend some replacement models for you, should it come to that.

JACUSTOMER-t2r1c9dk- :

Thanks for your advice

JACUSTOMER-t2r1c9dk- :

Will you please recomend alternative recorders Which must play DVD plus And DVd Minus Discs

Nathan :

Absolutely Ian, though it is difficult to find units that will play +/- both. Are you looking for a recorder still, or are you okay with playback only? Unless you're burning your own discs with content from a video camera for home movies, most people these days don't actually need to record to dvd media, since hard drive technology has come a long way in recent years and you can get such large capacity drives in a dvr, there is generally no need for external optical media.

Nathan :

Also, I'll assume you're ok with dvd functions only. VHS technology, as you probably know, is quite obsolete now, and is really no longer available. You could of course keep using the philips as is, for vhs playback, if needed.

JACUSTOMER-t2r1c9dk- :

I have decide not to have a VHS recorder,

JACUSTOMER-t2r1c9dk- :

I have decided not to have a VHS recorder.,Just A DVD recorder, which will play & recordDVDplus & DVD minus discs

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nathan

Thanks for your reply

Can you recommend A DVD recorder (not a duo VHS Recorder) that ca play & record DVDplus & DVD minus discs

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I missed you earlier Ian, I didn't see your last reply come through until now.
Most units are - only, it is very rare to get one that does both. The only somewhat current model I was able to locate in the UK is this:
http://amzn.to/1zK8Znk