MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Panasonic DMR-BWT 720 HDD 1TB Blue-Ray Disc recorder. Its hogging

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR-BWT 720 HDD 1TB Blue-Ray Disc recorder. Its hogging the aerial signal when recording, from the TV programe I am watching. I am UK South Coast East Sussex .
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. That recorder has two tuners, how do you have it connected to your TV from the aerial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rusty, Thanks for reply . Aerial into player out to Tv also HDMI cable player to Tv (new replacement). Doug

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, switch your TV to the HDMI input for your recorder. You should be able to record one channel, and watch another, or record two channels at the same time. If two are recording, you cannot watch a third channel. Is that how it is behaving when you switch to the HDMI input on your TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rusty Thanks for your reply, Yes I do watch TV via the recorder as you point out, its my way to overcome the problem. Lets say I set the recorder and go out others will be watching TV, aprox 15mins before my to be recorded programme starts the recorder will switch on, TV screen will go blank with a no signal notice. Regards Doug

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will it record two programs at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rusty Thanks for your reply, Yes it will record two programs at the same time but one has to be current on the TV. Regards Doug

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
That is normal activity. Since it has two tuners, you can either record one program and watch another, or record two programs. There is not a third tuner to watch a program while you record two. You would need another set top box to watch a third channel. You can use a splitter at the wall outlet to split the signal to feed your recorder and another set top box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rusty You have gone off track ! I have the operating instructions from new with the recorder, and understand most of its contents. How can I stop it Hogging the TV signal ? .it was perfect for 14mths. Regards Doug

Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am Tech Michael maybe I can help here. How old is your Panasonic DMR?
When you say it hogs the TV signal, what exactly are you saying, is it slow to operate, or wont let you view some of the channels etc, I will need a better description of this issue to help you properly.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael, Thanks for interest, I hope you can help, before I bin it. Its a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Blu-ray recorder 1tb about 17mths old had it boxed from new. Lets say its set to record at 1600hrs I go out leaving others watching normal TV, at aprox 1545hrs the recorder will come to life(its ok its normal) but it will shut down the TV program and a no signal notice will come up on the screen. Yes I can watch TV via the recorder and record at the same time. If watching TV I switch on the recorder the TV will go off to no signal. can you help ? Regards Doug

Thanks Doug I have an issue here as well with mine but its through the cable co, and its been weeks and they cant fix it lol!
As for your unit though, how old is it?
Thanks Doug.
Tech Michael