info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Technician for many high street outlets 20 years plus experience
18621325

I have a Panasonic DMR-EX768 recorder. I'm not sure how long

I have a Panasonic DMR-EX768 recorder. I'm not sure how long I have had it. I use it a lot and now when I finalised a disc it came a message "cannot read the disc". When I tried a pre-recorded disc that said the same.
Can you help me please.
Annie
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

When you first insert a disk can you hear the disc spin then stop?you may need to put your ear close to the entry slot

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

All this happened when I was finalising a disc I had recorded. When I insert a disc it says "read" then a message comes up "cannot read disc".

The disc sign is on the recorder although there is no disc in it. If there is no disc in it always states "no disc".

The disc does not appear to be spinning. The player is making a noise as it is reading the disc.

Annie.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Anne have you unplugged the unit from the wall waited 10 minutes then re-plugged the unit back in again?if not please do that and let me know if their is any change

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Anthony.

I have just unplugged the unit from the wall for 15 minutes. There is no change.

I have updated the system on the DVD player/recorder. I have noticed that when I go into the function menu it is saying that it is recording. I cannot seem to change that.

Annie.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
I have updated the system on the DVD player/recorder

What do you mean by the above please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Anthony.

When I go into the function menu there is a system update available which I have used this weekend. I think it was in the set-up . I'm afraid I am not technical at all.

I am not able to do anything much at the moment as I am babysitting my 6 month old grandson-hard work.

Annie

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK Annie yes grandson priority

Annie when you get some time please come back here I want you to go into the service menu and do some things for me in there I will tell you how to do that when your ready

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Anthony.

I am back and I have put the function menu on my DVD recorder.

Annie.

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Annie you need to get the unit into service mode, you do that by pressing OFF so the unit is in the OFF mode with the remote, then ON THE UNIT ITSELF press channel up>>open and close>>REC buttons all at the same time for 5 seconds you will see SERV in the window of the unit, let me know when you get that far

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Anthony.

Thank you I have done what you said with the help of my 11 year old grandson. His fingers are better than mine. The SERV message is up.

Annie

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK press 9 then 9 again you should see CLR in the display, then press the powerbutton either om the remote or the unit the machine should then be OK

Let me know

Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Technician for many high street outlets 20 years plus experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Anthony.

I have done all that and it is still not working. I have had the recorder/player at least 10 years and it is only now that I am having trouble with it so I can't really complain can I.

Annie

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid its not good news it looks like the firmware is that bad it cant be recovered, yes it looks like you will need to replace the unit

Let me know if I can do anything esle

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Anthony.

Thank you for all your help. You are a marvel. The £22 has been well worth paying. Thanks once again.

Best wishes.

Annie.Smile

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Annie

I am sorry their is no recovery for the machine however at least you know from your armchair

Annie I dont receive any credit until you rate the answer positively their will be a rating bar with this post thanks again

Anthony
info tech, Technician