Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a gefen toolbox 4x4 matrix installed in my flat. The

Customer Question

I have a gefen toolbox 4x4 matrix installed in my flat. The hdmi signals are sent to three separate rooms. Unfortunately, in one of the rooms the signal cuts out when the bolier turns on and off or when various lights are switched on. The signal cuts out regularly for a few seconds each time until finally it cuts out totally. It then will start working a few days later. Is there anything I could do to fix this? Is there any reason why this happens? Would you think it was installed properly for me?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the full model number of the gefen? There are a few different versions of this.

Nathan :

Are you going with hdmi directly out of the matrix switch to the hdmi input on the other tvs? Or is there an extender (cat5/6) in use between the matrix and the tv?

Nathan :

Could you tell me the model number of each of the tvs?

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

It says RS 232 on the main gene toolbox matrix, I hope that this is the model number. There are three extenders next to the matrix and then one in each of the three rooms behind the TVs. I think cat5 was used but these were put in before we moved in ( it is a new flat).

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

I am not sure on the tv model numbers, but the tv with the problems is a samsung which would have been maybe the newest model in 2009. I have a sony bravia and a panasonic viera in other rooms. Very occasionally on the two other tvs, the picture cuts out momentarily.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

the samsung tv is connected to a denon avr-1912 and radius 360 hd speakers.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

I have very limited knowledge of electrical things and so let me know what other information could help.

Nathan :

rs232 is a serial port or control protocol, not the model.

Nathan :

The most likely issue here is that the extender in the other room is faulty, or the cat5 cable between it and the matrix is picking up line noise from the boiler and other items.

Nathan :

Would you be able to move a few things around to do some testing?

Nathan :

If so, what I'd like you to do is disconnect the extender that is currently hooked up to that samsung, and swap that extender box with one of the ones in the other room. Then observe if the problem still happens on the samsung, or if it follows this one extender to another tv location.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

GTB-HDFST-444. Is that maybe the model number? I will look for other numbers if not!

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

Might be difficult to switch the extenders as they are screwed into the wall

Nathan :

Yes that looks more like it for the model, thanks

Nathan :

Swapping those around is really the best step for diagnostics here, if it is at all possible. They may be hanging on the wall, but should simply lift off the screw that they are hanging on

Nathan :

We could move on to some other steps, but that is going to involve buying more parts/equipment, so I'd prefer to isolate the extender first, so you aren't wasting money on the wrong thing.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

Ok, that makes sense.

Nathan :

So please try to change those around, if possible, and let me know the results, and we'll take it from there.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

I will try that at some stage over the weekend and get back to you on monday or tuesday as I am away. Thanks.

Nathan :

No problem at all, take your time. You may bookmark/favorite this page to get back to me whenever you are ready.

Nathan

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

I have managed to swap the extenders, and the problem still happens on the samsung, i.e it did not change anything.

Nathan :

Okay, so this could be an issue with that particular samsung tv then.

Nathan :

Is it possible for you to disconnect the extender from the samsung, and connect another hdmi device (dvd player, satellite, etc) directly to the samsung, via hdmi,

Nathan :

then observe what happens there?

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

ok, will try that

Nathan :

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

just before i do that, we do watch apple tv independently on the samsung without any problems

Nathan :

Okay that does help,

Nathan :

but it could be a single bad port on the samsung,

Nathan :

so try putting the appletv on the hdmi port that the gefen had been connected to

Nathan :

and see if the issue comes up there

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

ok

Nathan :

You could test the gefen as well on the hdmi port that the appletv had been connected to

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

I switched the cables for the apple tv and the gefen, and it seems to be working without problems now, however this could well be temporary.

Nathan :

I understand, it sounded as though this may only happen after a few days.

Nathan :

Just keep an eye on it for now, and let me know if/when the issues come back, and what input/source it happens on.

JACUSTOMER-fw98tc7l- :

ok, thanks

Nathan :

You're welcome.