Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a samsung blue ray player model BD-5500 and it turns

I have a samsung blue ray player model BD-5500 and it turns on but will not bring up the menu or load either blue ray or DVD disks. I get no message on the TV screen other than the samsung blue ray player logo
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, this is most likely a hardware failure, meaning the internal main/control board has a defect or damage.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear.

one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the samsung

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

If still no change, the next step would be to attempt to manually update the firmware on the player. If that update is not recognized or doesn't help, that would then confirm a hardware fault, requiring repair/replacement

Nathan :

If you can tell me the full model number of your unit (there is usually an extra letter before the 5500, such as F5500, C5500, etc), I'll advise on the update process.

Customer:

The model number is :- BD-E5500

Nathan :

Thanks for confirming,

Nathan :

please try the initial reset I mentioned earlier,

Nathan :

then if needed you can attempt the manual update:
CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE FILE