Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My recently purchased DMR-EX86EB: The 'Open/Close' button

Customer Question

My recently purchased DMR-EX86EB:
The 'Open/Close' button on main unit will not eject. When I press it, the tray won't open - the unit switches immediately off and the display reads 'BYE.' There is a professional DVD 'locked' in the tray.
The player is working the DVD in the tray and programmes on the HDD correctly, using the remote.
The remote control seems to be working correctly.
The 'on/off' button on the main unit is not responding.
I've tried all the 'trouble shooting' suggestions in the manual (including the 'Restore unit if it Freezes') - none have solved the problem!.
PLEASE HELP
Peter O'Leary, Drogheda, Ireland
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Peter.
Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)
There are a few things you can try:
First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.
If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.
If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.
If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** your time and expertise.
I'll folow your advice and suggestions and let you know what happens,
~ Peter.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Peter, and best of luck to you.If no results, since this is a recent purchase, your next options would be to contact the retailer for a return/exchange, or panasonic to have them service it under the factory warranty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I followed your suggestions. Nothing worked, so I brought the Panasonic back to the dealer.

I'd be very happy to a tip if the problem was resolved, but as that is not the case I regret I can't do a tip at this time.

~ Peter.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all Peter, I completely understand, and no tip expected in such a situation.Hopefully the replacement unit is performing better for you.Best regards,Nathan