Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EZ49VEB, it is 3 yrs

Customer Question

I have a panasonic DVD recorder DMR-EZ49VEB, it is 3 yrs old in Sept. 2015 I haven't been able to get any discs to format for a long time now and am running out of discs ! I record things most days and always use DVD+RW discs and have used cheap and more expensive ones in the past with no problems. I did phone the Panasonic helpline some time ago and they recommended a DVD cleaner disc - I purchased one but the recorder wouldn't accept it ! Everything else works perfectly and I play new music and film discs with no problems. Any thoughts to what is going on ?
Thank you, ***** ***** Walters
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mrs. Walters, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. Note that this unit actually has 2 lasers, one is a read laser (and why you can still play discs) and one is a write laser (for formatting/recording).You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner available here: http://amzn.to/1w1eNgB ) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. I've always had good results from this particular one, so it may work where the panasonic one failed. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. The write laser does wear out with time/use, so even seeing one fail after a few years is not surprising. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement. Should it come to that, I'll advise further on options for you.Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nathan,

Thank you so much for that. I have only just put the computer on ! Will have a go at what you say - my husband will do it ! He not here at the moment, but I will get back to you at some point in the next few days.

Thanks again,

Patricia Walters

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, Patrica, and best of luck to you!Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nathan,

My husband did what you said with the compressed air, but there was no difference. We are waiting for the cleaner now off a friend and see what that does.

It was very useful to know what the problem was in any case.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update, Patrica. I hope the cleaner will do better for you.Nathan