Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My HDD DVD Video Recorder is failing to record some programmed

My HDD DVD Video Recorder is failing to record some programmed items, is sometimes recording for longer than it has been programmed, loses control of subtitles as a program as it progresses and the sound vibrates for deep male voices. Are these all possible recorder problems, can I fix them or do I need a new recorded? Model is RD88DTKB.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, can you remove the recorder from the power and wait 10 minutes.
Then connect the recorder and check if you still have the problem.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No change
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bob,
Then it confirms your hard disk in the recorder is failing. Soon from what I see with these units, it will stop recording altogether.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have the hard drive replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
If the warranty has expired and you have a spare 500GB Sata hard disk from an old computer, and you are handy with electronics, you can open the recorder (while it is powered off) and replace the hard drive yourself.
I advise against purchasing a hard disk though as the cost of a new hard drive is close to the cost of a replacement recorder, and you would not get the warranty you would on a new recorder. I only give this option if you have a spare hard drive from an older computer. Else you are best to purchase a new recorder.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.