Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have been unable to transfer from hdd to dvd on this unit

I have been unable to transfer from hdd to dvd on this unit . All I get is a message saying please insert valid disc. I have tried to watch shop bought dvds and I press drive select for dvd then insert the dvd. but all I get is a message in the top right corner and on the unit display that says no disc. I have never used the dvd recorder to copy from the hdd or watched a film since I have had this unit and I think the dvd part is no good and doesn't work and possibly never has .I have never had any problem recording and watching the hdd
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement. Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello David, thank you for the update and kind rating/bonus.
I closed out your other question as a duplicate, so you wouldn't be double charged. You can follow up with me here on the original, instead.
Using an external capture card would be just fine.
Hook it to the recorder with the red/white/yellow cords - start recording on the card/pc and then start playback on the hdd/dvd unit. Just keep in mind a few things: the recording is real time, so a 1 hour show will take 1 hour to record, there is no high speed dubbing. Also anything that happens on screen of the player will show up on the recording, so if you pause, fast for*****, *****ng up the guide, etc, those are going to show in the recorded disc also.
When purchasing discs, you'll want to get the "dvd-r" (not +r) discs for most uses.
Best regards,
Nathan