Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a freeview+ recorder model DTR-HV250 bought at time

I have a freeview+ recorder model DTR-HV250 bought at time of digital switchover. On screen message says to format disk but device not responding after following instructions
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me the instructions you did to try to format the disk please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As per troubleshooting guide, entered service menu in DTR settings and selected reset set top box then retuned according to on screen instructions. Didn't solve problem so followed same method to format disk as prompted but set didn't respond

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** correct, just needed to confirm
It is the internal hard drive that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But this is ruled out by the procedure you did.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have the hard drive replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired, you can get a 500GB SATA hard disk from any computer store, open it up and replace it yourself. It is not a very difficult task, or replace the unit which would be about 100 pounds more expensive then the repair.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.