Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a Panasonic dvd recorder DMR-E55. I put a dvd in to

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic dvd recorder DMR-E55. I put a dvd in to play and it went into self check and it is on an endless loop, it will neither play or eject the disc
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)There are a few things you can try:First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power. If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired. If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When will the money be taken out of my account, I don't mind paying if that fixed the problem, I don't mind paying a small ammount for the advice but £20 seems a lot if the problem is not fixed

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Per the terms of the site, which you would have agreed to already, you paid a small deposit to post your question here, and the balance would be charged upon corresponding with an expert (me, in this case). I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize if there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Please do at least attempt the steps I've suggested. It is not a guaranteed fix however, and unfortunately the terms of the site are non negotiable. You pay the same fee whether I give you a fix that works in 2 minutes or whether I spend hours talking with you. In cases of hardware failures though, I can only diagnose and explain the problem, and give you practical advise for how to proceed. In this case, for an 11 year old player, it isn't going to be worth fixing - parts are long discontinued, and you'd pay far more in labor alone than you would to replace the entire unit with a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty. For a unit this age though, it is many times its expected service life, so seeing this type of failure just from normal wear and tear is not surprising. Should it come to that, I can help with finding a local repair shop, parts, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have given me no answers that I haven't tried myself, you said that I would pay a small deposit, I do not consider £20 a small deposit. I have tried both of them over again and still the same. If I had taken this to my local repair he at would have got the disc out for me. I am dissatisfied that I have just been been given answered based on what I told you in the first place.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding. I'm just the tech here, and I have no control at all over billing or what you see on the customer side of the web site. To my knowledge, the site should have made it quite clear that you'd have a specific amount for the deposit, usually around 5, and then the balance upon corresponding with an expert (myself). Again in cases like this I can only diagnose the problem and explain to you what is going on and give you practical advise for how to proceed. Yes, you could certainly take it to a local repair shop. Most any repair shop is going to charge you a 75-100 initial diagnostic fee just to look at it, for the exact same information. If you decided to proceed with repairs, you'd be looking at the same amount again in parts/labor. It is unlikely that this is simply a stuck disc - even if the disc is removed it will most likely need further repairs, function won't be restored just by removing it. While it can be repaired, parts are not readily available and it just isn't worth the cost for a system that is already past its designed service life many times over. Please understand also that I have no way of knowing what you have tried or what knowledge you possess, I'm limited to the specific information you provide to me here, which at this point was to say that you had unplugged it and pressed buttons. I provided some specific steps to try which can sometimes resolve the issue, and beyond that repair/replacement is the only option left. I realize your frustration with having a piece of equipment that has failed, and that there is no quick or easy fix. I wish there was a simpler answer, if there were a magic reset button I would have provided that information. Sadly, there is not, and equipment like this has a limited useful life, which is just in the nature of electronics with moving parts. I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize if there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. If in the end you feel my time and effort, which has been further invested in the conversation that you've continued to engage me with, is of absolutely no value, then you may omit rating entirely. At that point I am left working for free, but if you feel it is fair and reasonable to request such, I would still offer to spend more of my own personal time on your behalf to request a refund for you. Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I am not getting at you, my local repair shop charges £25, he told me that a combination of buttons press may reset it and it might allow the disc to be ejected, he said that if that didn't work that he would look it and at least get the disc out for that price. he had not worked on that machine. I did not leave in as I know it is not worth spending money on parts to fix it. As I searched for the model number and the site said that a small deposit would be taken and would be refunded if not satisified, I thought that A) the person that I would be directed to would know about that model, B) part of that money would be taken and the remainder taken if the problem was solved. All of the money has be taken and I have got the same advice that I was given for nothing at my local repair shop. I would greatly appreciate if you could get me a refund

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, that is not the way the site works. Regarding the payment issue, it is all or nothing. That unfortunately leaves me with nothing at all for my time invested up to this point. I'm unsure what you would consider a small deposit, or a fair amount. If you wish though, you can contact the site via the "my account" or "Help" section of the page and request that the previously agreed to fee be reduced to a smaller deposit that you would consider equitable. At that point, with your permission, the site may give me some small portion of that. I am highly familiar with your model, and have installed and repaired many of them over the years. The process I gave you does apply.You can take the unit apart yourself with a screwdriver to retrieve the disc, if you are inclined to do so. Have a good day,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You, ***** ***** I am not trying to suggest that you are not an expert I just feel that I was mislead by the site

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Nathan