Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have about 25 recordings made on Panasonic DVDs on my previous

I have about 25 recordings made on Panasonic DVDs on my previous Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder/Player. This unit failed recently and I purchased a more recent Panasonic unit, but it will not play those DVDs. I cannot play them on my computer either. Can you please advise? THank you.
Charles Gotch
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
What specifically failed on the unit?
What type of disc was used?
Were any of the discs "finalised"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nathan,

It would not play any DVDs - something mechanical as far as I could tell.

The disks used are Panasonic CD-RAMS

I think they were all finalised - I was transferring images from VHS tapes mostly, although some were recorded directly from Freesat.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I think the issue here may be the cd-ram type disc, which was not commonly used. To be playable in another device (even one of the same exact model) you generally need to use the dvd-r format, and the discs must be finalized. If they are not finalized, meaning you could go back and record over them and/or add new recordings to the empty space, then the file is never "closed out" and won't be readable on another device. I may be able to help you out with the old one though to get it going again, at least enough to finalize these or transfer them to other media. Did you get a specific error code on it? Did you hear the disc "spin up" when inserted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nathan,

The old machine went months ago. I contacted one of your team about it and found it needed technical work of some sort and gave it to the supplier of the new (reconditioned) unit

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, there is really nothing else that can be done here, unless you can attempt to load it into the new player, record something briefly, then try to finalize it. It may then allow it to play elsewhere, but it is honestly not likely. My apologies for the bad news,Nathan