Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Good afternoon, Carl. I have a Panasonic Dvd Recorder DMR-EX83.

Good afternoon, Carl. I have a Panasonic Dvd Recorder DMR-EX83. It only plays back with a blue tinge to the screen. What could be wrong with it?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen only on playback of recorded items, or on live content as well?Do you have any other components (cable/satellite box, game system, media streamer, etc) connected to this tv, and if so how are they working?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan,
I have a digital television box and a smart tv connected to the DVD Recorder. Everything else is working perfectly.
The colour of the screen changes when I switch on the DVD Recorder and the smart tv adjusts its source to 'Ext' mode. The on-screen interface for the DVD Recorder takes on a blue colour and everything I record plays back with a blue colour.
Kind regards,
Claire
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Are those other devices passed through the panasonic? Or are they connected directly to the tv? As an initial step, lets try a full reset of the panasonic:1) Unplug the power cord from the recorder, at the mains2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Panasonic DVD Recorder is connected to the smart tv by a scart lead. It is also connected to the digital television box by a scart lead.
I will try the full reset, as you suggested, and let you know what happens in an hour.
Kind regards,
Claire
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** best of luck to you,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan,
Unfortunately the full reset hasn't worked; I'm still getting the blue tinge to the screen.
Kind regards,
Claire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan,
Is there anything further you can suggest which might remedy the problem?
Kind regards,
Claire
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update, Claire, and sorry for missing you earlier.
At this point there are several possible causes, but an internal hardware defect in the recorder is the most likely.
Can you try using a different connection method, instead of scart. Preferably please try hdmi from the recorder to the tv, and let me know if you still have the problem.
Failing that, we can try a firmware update, and beyond that we'd be looking at something that would require repairs to correct, such as a failing control board.
Best of luck,
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan,
Thank you for getting back to me.
I have an hdmi cable connecting the digital television box to the smart tv. After reading your message, I connected the Dvd Recorder to the smart tv with the hdmi cable and it solved the problem!
Does this mean the fault lies with the scart lead? If so, is it just a matter of using a new one or will I have to buy an additional hdmi cable to replace it instead?
Kind regards,
Claire
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
It is possible you've got a bad scart lead, or you may have a bad scart port on the tv. The issue here though is that I believe hdmi is going to be ONLY one way in this case. So you'd still possible need a scart OUT of the dtv box to the scart IN on the panasonic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nathan,
Thanks so much for your help with this; you're a star.
I will experiment with some spare scart leads and hdmi cables tomorrow. I'm really grateful to you for your time and expertise; I will leave my feedback for you now.
Many thanks and kind regards,
Claire