Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Can I overcome a recurring, within two minutes of switching

Customer Question

Can I overcome a recurring, within two minutes of switching on my Panasonic Bluray disc recorder DMR-BWT800, message U61 on the recorder screen and a further window on the TV informing that the equipment will self restore and switch off. It does this but returns almost as soon as it is switched on again. I have tried resetting conditions to both default and shipping conditions but the problem still persists. Is there a solution to this problem or does it require a repair ?
Many thanks,
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Have you ever updated the firmware on the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, sorry for the delay but have been on holiday. I dont know what you mean by firmware, is this the same as update ? if so then doesn't this occur with the shipping reset?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Firmware/software is the same as updating (via internet, this isn't the same as an OTA channel/guide update). It does not occur with a reset. You have to go into the setup menu and specifically prompt it to update (if available). You may also update manually by downloading the file here: http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/bwt700/ That u61 refers to a time communication error, essentially it means a defect in the control board of the unit. The firmware update is really the only step you can attempt to resolve this. If the problem persists it would require repairs. Should it come to that though, for a 2011 model, it isn't worth fixing. You'd spend more on parts and labor for repairs than you would to start over with a brand new system with updated features and a fresh warranty. I'm happy to help find a repair shop or recommend replacement options for you, if you'd like. Just let me know. Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your comments and I managed to find the updating sections but only found that the latest had downloaded automatically and the unit was completely up to date.I note that the repair is probably uneconomic and so I will leave it and thank you for your help, at least I know the situation rather than guessing.

Best regards,

John.

ps. am going on holiday again tomorrow so will look for a replacement recorder when I get back.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update, and sorry to hear that the update wasn't a viable fix for you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1NTiEkV Thank you, ***** ***** a good holiday,Nathan